Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Who Are You Seeking Approval Of ? ( Galatians 1:10-12 )

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 1:10-12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brothers and sisters who are we seeking to please men or God? This question the Apostle Paul placed in this in some sense to use I believe as a test. This first and foremost shows us the heart of a true believer versus someone who just pins on the badge of Christianity and that is about the depth of their walk. For truly my friends we as Christians seek not the approval of man, but of God alone. For everything we do is for His glory. I often think of this verse when I go throughout my day am I seeking to please Him? Is my daily actions pleasing the One whom gave me life and is the very reason I make it day to day. I do believe my friends when we let the scriptures penetrate us to a depth where they are on our minds constantly it is a beauty which is beyond beauty. This I've come to describe as being consumed by God. I find that laying down I think of Him, when I get ready for work I think of Him, as I'm at work I think of Him. There is not a time that God is not on my mind. Friends with Him being constantly on my mind I do so whole heartily try to please Him in all I do. Granted I may not be perfect, but that by no means gives me excuse or discourages me. It in fact only encourages me to press forward. Though the outward man may and does parish, the inward man is renewed daily( 2 Corinthians 4:16 ) and for that I am grateful.

Something I'd like to address is notice how the Apostle Paul clearly points out what he preaches is not of men. This we should take to heart. When listening to pastors and those who share the gospel be discerning. Remember the Word says prove all things( 1 Thessalonians 5:21 ). Note also that Jesus clearly said, " Take Heed that no man deceive you( Matthew 24:4 ). Friends I'm not saying go around and be critical, but I am saying be spiritually discerning. Don't just take everything for fact just because they stand in a pulpit, be as the Bereans( Acts 17:11 ). Any good bible teacher, pastor, or believer won't be insulted. In fact I believe they would encourage you to do so and encourage you to get in the Word to grow in your relationship with God.

Be encouraged brothers and sisters to grow daily in discipleship( Luke 9:23 ). You can see it in these passages of scripture. Think about denial of self is evident as the Apostle Paul is showing he preaches Christ and not himself. This life is no longer about him, but all about Jesus Christ his Lord and Savior. As you read in the Apostle's letters and even in verse 10 he continues to take up his cross daily and of course he is following Christ. I'd venture to say as by reading in the Word that the Apostle Paul had a love and desire for Christ. He abandoned who he was and committed his entire life for the gospel.

So I ask the question again do you please men or do you please God? Remember as the Apostle wrote in verse ten following this if you seek to please men, then your not the servants of Christ. For truly a servant of Christ, a true believer will seek to please God in all that he or she does. In that others will sometimes be made happy,but remember it isn't about them. I think often that is where we can get off center we seek to make everyone else happy and forget about pleasing God. Friends I am in no way saying become irresponsible or make others lives terrible. No, but remember we are not to be people pleasers fulfilling everything they need. Trust me you can't nor will you meet their every need. There is only one way to fill every need and that is in God. I've found only He completes me. As I shared with someone, I do desire marriage, but not that I need someone to complete me for only Christ can do that,but someone who will compliment me. Be encouraged to seek to please Him. Seek to please the one who made you.

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: