Monday, June 8, 2009

Being A Man Or Woman After HIS Heart ( 1 Samuel 13:14 )

But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

1 Samuel 13:14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been my heart for a few days. What it means to be a man after the Lord's heart? This doesn't just mean you show up in your Sunday best on Sunday and Wednesday, sing really nice, read your bible, and be kind to your brothers and sisters in Christ. No, those should honestly come naturally as being a man after His heart. Being a man after His heart is much deeper. It's being willing to give all of yourself to Him( Romans 12:1 ). See when you examine the lives of both King Saul and King David you can clearly see two different men. Not just because they are,but because how they lived. Saul lived for Saul. As you remember earlier in this passage Saul was waiting on Samuel before going to war with the Philistines. He was waiting for Samuel to give a sacrifice to the Lord as an offering before going to war. Well, Saul being impatient and not being a man after God's heart as this passage clearly indicates went ahead and offered the sacrifice. Well, as the story goes Samuel rebukes Saul and well, I hate to ruin the ending,but the rest of Saul's life really does goes downhill. In fact in the end Saul kills himself. Does that sound to you like a man after God's heart? I don't think so, in fact I don't believe so.


David on the other hand as you read his story while we know he made errors, one thing is consistent he turned to the Lord. Despite the big errors in his life David took the responsibility and came before the Lord in repentance and moved forward. David didn't get through life because of who he was, he made it day by day because of the Lord and you can see that clearly by reading the psalms. David had a personal relationship with God. He was real, but reverent with God. He didn't play like things were ok in fact he was very honest, but at the same time he placed his confidence in God.

No matter how rough life gets. No matter how many trials or struggles we endure we must press forward placing our trust in God. Not saying this is too tough so I'll give up. Friends a man after God's own heart is so consumed by God that despite his own short comings he presses on not based on his own abilities, but based on the strength he receives from God. I know this personally as I make it day to day by God's grace,His strength and His right hand upholding me.

In fact I'd love to share with you how just last night as I went to bed I thanked God for the rest I was going to receive. The beauty is I woke up this morning as I was telling a dear and close brother today, about 12 or 13 minutes earlier than my alarm clock I had set. What I forgot to mention to him was I was rested. I wasn't tired or groggy. In fact I remember the first words out of my mouth, thank you God. Let me also tell you all it was at 6:12am. Now I'm sure some of you are wondering how does this relate to being a man after God's heart. Well, there is a passage in psalms, that really has encouraged me to wanna rise early to seek the Father's face earlier. I pray this passage of scripture is encouraging to you as it was and continues to be to me, " O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;" ( Psalms 63:1 ). Granted David may have been in the wilderness, but friends I ask why sleep in and waste the when you could spend time with Him. Why is it we can't sacrifice some of sleep time to spend more time with Him? This may sound extreme, but friends what does it mean to be consumed by someone or something? Think about that and I don't think this idea of wanting to get up earlier to spend time with God will seem radical. In fact I believe it will sound beautiful. When I look at that verse again I can read the love in that verse don't you?

Friends I encourage you to be a man or woman after His heart. Seek Him with all that you and as the Word says you will find Him( Deuteronomy 4:29, Jeremiah 29:13 ). Friends last week personal and intimate experiences, yes I said experiences, confirmed His Word. He encourages me daily in many ways; through His Word, through prayer, through a brother or sister, and even through His creation. Pursue God and be that man or woman after His heart with a burning passion for Him.


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: