Monday, June 29, 2009

His Grace Is Sufficient ( 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 )

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


2 Corinthians 12:9-10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was at work tonight this text was on my mind and well I couldn't get it off my mind. I imagine to most of my brothers and sisters it is a quite familiar text to you. These two verses are encouragement to me and are usually some that usually come to mind in tough times. What amazes me is how often we read these two verses and probably go okay that sounds nice or think we have it, but do we grasp it, the depth of when Jesus responded to the Apostle Paul, " My grace is sufficient for the." Do we really let that soak in and really think just how sufficient His grace is. Sadly I don't think we do. Sure we may sing songs about it or even mention it from time to time,but if we really want to be honest not too often do many consider the rich depth of how sufficient His grace is.

So you ask how sufficient is it? Well, friends if you go up a couple of verses you see the Apostle was given some thorn in the flesh to deal with. What exactly that thorn was I'm not sure of,but obviously if he inquired of the Lord three times it must have been something tough. The beauty is when the Apostle Paul gets the response from the Lord, " My grace is sufficient. " He doesn't double check the answer or ask for a better answer, no he is content and trust in the sufficiency of grace of Christ. I believe honestly we can learn a lesson from this.

Another point I'd like to point out which touches my heart is what else Christ says to him. It goes, " My strength is made perfect in weakness." Wow! We can find true and perfect strength in weakness. What I've come to realize throughout my walk with God is I have weaknesses, but the beauty is in those weaknesses I've found my strength in Him. Remember what it says in the scriptures, " For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me( Philippians 4:13 ). " Beautiful to know He is our strength and we can do all things through Him. Notice also what Christ said that our strength is made perfect in weakness. This is realizing a total dependence on Him we find great strength in knowing we have a great helper and provider all the days of our lives. So yes our strength is made perfect in weakness.

Now the following just, I'm not sure I have the right words,but are awesome to me is this the Apostle says he will gladly rejoice in infirmities so that the power of Christ may rest upon him. Friends that is powerful. This is rejoicing through your struggles. Friends when we rejoice even through our worst times and through as the Apostle wrote our infirmities it stands as testimony and His name be glorified.

I love the next verse as the Apostle goes to great lengths by explaining in all these things infirmities,reproaches,necessities, persecutions, and distresses at which he takes pleasure in. Then note why he takes pleasure in them, not for self glory or because he needs them. No he does it for Christ's sake. See right there and I know I mention it often, but I don't think I can stress it enough. This life is not about us. It is quite obvious by reading the Apostle's letters that he served the Lord with all heart, all his strength and all his soul. It is obvious he preached Christ, not Paul( 2 Corinthians 4:5 ).


Last in closing as he finished verse 10, when I am weak I am strong. Going back to what I stated earlier. When we come to an understanding of dependency on Christ and see our short comings we see we are weak yet strong. I know that may sound weird, but to the Christian it makes perfect sense. Despite I may be quite a shy person I've found that boldness comes not in me, but through me from the strength of Him. See friends when I'm weak I am strong begins to make sense when we look at it in light of what the scripture says. I know I have weaknesses, but I look to the very one who saved me and in Him I can say I am strong. Not based on my own ability or talent, but based on my identity and Him working through me.

Brothers and sisters be encouraged in areas where you are weak. Remember when you are weak through Him you can say your strong. This I do believe should encourage us when sharing our faith whether at school, work or anywhere. Be encouraged in that when you inquire of something and that "My grace is sufficient" is His response have the attitude of the Apostle and understand the depths of His grace is sufficient.

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: