Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Seek Him First! ( Matthew 6:33 )

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matthew 6:33
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'd venture to say we as Christians know this scripture, but at the same time need to re-familiarize ourselves with it. What I'm saying is this, often when things get tough we can become worried and say how is this going to turn out or man I really want this. We plead our case as if we deserve it or if by someway we earned it. Friends I'm not saying God won't bless you and I'm not saying God won't take care of you. What I'm saying is sometimes we get too focused on the blessings instead of God. When I think of this verse my first thought is I seek God first and foremost in my life. We shouldn't be serving Him thinking what will He give us, instead our attitude and mindset should be God how can I serve You today, how can You use me. Do you see how it takes the central focus of I and instead puts it back where it belongs on Him.

Friends I can't tell you enough how I ask God for His desires to be mine. Some would say well, why do we need to do that? Do you remember how the apostle Paul put it dying daily(1 Corinthians 15:31 ). Friends by dying daily we ask God to show us His desires and to have Him mold us. As it is written be not conformed of this world, but be transformed( Romans 12:2 ). To me seeking Him first means denying myself which what a surprise is part of being a disciple of Christ( Luke 9:23 ). It is realizing it is not about you, it is all about Him. Friends I gave this illustration to a friend and dear brother that I pray that when my flesh rises up that Christ would kick me out from under my feet, take me to the cross and remind me I am bought with a price( 1 Corinthians 6:20 ). That may sound like a rough image, but friends we must bring the flesh under submission and to do we must walk in the spirit to avoid fulfilling its desires( Galatians 5:16 ). I'm not a perfect Christian, I only am who I am because He upholds me with His right hand( Psalm 63:8 ) and preserves me( Psalm 25:21 ). Friends I am frail, weak and just a man made of dust, but there is one who lives in me who is stronger( 1 John 4:4 ). This isn't just a cute little statement this is the truth God sustains me daily and I make it because of His strength( Philippians 4:13 ).

Let me encourage you to glorify God for who He is and not what you get or don't get. Seek Him first and His righteousness. Friends I'd love to be married and have kids,but if God can get glory from me being single then He shall receive my praise. If He can get praise through me being poor or through me being beaten so be it. I've said this before, but Philippians 1:21 is a very encouraging verse for me, in my life and in my death God will receive glory.


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

1 comment:

like_ruth said...

Amen! Same here, if God can get glory from me in my circumstances then He shall receive my praise!