Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Be Not Deceived By Vain Words! ( Ephesians 5:6-8 )

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

Ephesians 5:6-8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like first off to point something out which I think people don't think of. That is there is distinction between people. Well, some would say yes I know that. There are some who are tall and short, there are those who are male and female and other such distinctions, but friends there is a distinction I'd like to point out as scripture shows us here and other places there are children of light, those whom follow the true Light( John 1:9 ), which we as believers know is Jesus Christ. The other children are children of disobedience or as another place in scripture calls them children of wrath( Ephesians 2:3 ). These are those who do not follow Christ. Instead their lives are contrary to Word of God. I've heard people say and I actually use to agree with this statement that everyone is God's children. Friends that statement is false and let me briefly if I can explain why. We all are God's creation, but only those who are born again can truly be called His children. Think about Romans 8:1, does this sound like a promise for children of wrath or children of disobedience? Think of what I said do children of disobedience sound like those who walk after the spirit or do you think they walk after the flesh?

Continuing on notice first the Apostle Paul here states let no man deceive you with vain words. As I stated last night we must be discerning. This means we prove all things( 1 Thessalonians 5:21 ) and this means everything. It does frustrate me to some degree for people to go to church and not even carry a bible. They don't even check the pastor. Now granted I'm not saying we must be critical man pastor you didn't pronounce that name or how come your not using KJV, but friends we must even hold them to the Word of God. No man is above the scriptures. Like I stated last night any good bible teacher or pastor will appreciate this and more than likely encourage this.

Of course we can gather from the context of passage that the Apostle Paul is warning the members of this church as well as us believers to be weary of false teachers as well. See there are those who sound Christian and may look Christian,but a discerning spirit will make them stick out and should send red flags. Remember the words of our Lord, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."( Matthew 7:20 )

Notice what verse 7 clearly states do not be partakers with them. Friends this is no way states we just go off in our own little world and don't care about anybody, but as I've stressed before our quality time is with believers. I ask you this what fellowship does light with darkness( 2 Corinthians 6:14 )? Notice I used the word fellowship. Once again I will stress fellowship and the word quality time. Ensure that your quality time is with those who share with you in the faith. Here is something I keep in mind and I hope this is encouraging to you. We share our faith with those who are lost hoping they too would come to the knowledge of Christ and they would be saved from the wrath to come. I try to spend as much time in the Word as I can to renew and protect my mind. I realize friends that from the heart are the issues of life( Proverbs 4:23 ). In addition I long for time at church to praise and worship God and learn as well. Then I am encouraged through bible studies both at church and with other believers. As I firmly believe you fill yourself with good stuff and out comes good stuff. We can't be around junk and expect roses to bloom.

Last I will address what the Apostle Paul was clearly pointing out in verse 8, now that you children of light who once were in darkness should walk in the light. This is a reminder saying live the life. How much clearer does he have to be. I believe we have all heard this saying, I hear you talking the talk, but are you walking the walk. I ask you that question, are you walking in the light? Are you walking the walk? Friends it is more than saying I'm a Christian. This is a life of perseverance, even when all hell breaks loose. Are you willing to loose everything? Are you willing to be abandoned, mocked, scourged, and hated for His name sake? To endure this we must be filled with His strength and renewed daily in His Word. We can not make it on our own. We can not make it on an acceptable or watered down gospel, but instead the only gospel. We must live by the gospel which as the Apostle Paul put so well, not of man, but revealed by Christ( Galatians 1:12 ).

Be encouraged brothers and sisters daily as you grow in the faith. Get to know God daily through His Word and in communion with Him in prayer. Friends think about what it means to pray without ceasing


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: