Monday, June 22, 2009

Grow In HIM I Pray! ( Colossians 1:9-10 )

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Colossians 1:9-10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Apostle Paul here in this part of his letter is addressing to the church at Colosse is praying for the believers at the church that they would grow in their relationship to God. I mean it is very obvious when he indicates this in verse 10 by stating increasing in the knowledge of God. Sadly today people go to church on Sunday maybe even on Wednesday too and that is about all of the knowledge of God they get. Now friends, brothers and sisters, my prayer is quite similar to some degree maybe not the same words,but I pray that my brothers and sisters would continue to grow in knowledge and their relationship with God.

Friends as a family, the body of Christ there is absolutely nothing wrong with praying this for our brothers and sisters. Remember we believers need prayers as well. I think it is completely ridiculous to think that ok I'm a Christian now I have it all figured out and I don't need prayers. That kind of attitude is plain arrogant and to me is very unbecoming of a true believer. Can the flesh rise up and our pride try and war with us to make us resist asking for prayer? I do say so, cause we know we war with it as we will till the day we die and receive our glorified bodies. Until that day friends I would encourage you to be humble and do ask for prayer from your brothers and sisters.

So how can we grow in the knowledge of God. Well, I know this may sound simple, but the scriptures are very clear, study to show thyself approved unto God( 2 Timothy 2:15 ). If you want to know Him there is no better place to read than the very book which shares His very attributes and very nature.Not to mention He inspired this Word( 2 Timothy 3:16 ) Himself and since He is truth, we know we are getting 100% fact. In fact if you seek Him with all that you are, you will find Him( Deuteronomy 4:29 ). Another beautiful picture of growing in knowledge is having the desire which is usually the first step. This beautiful picture is painted in Psalm 42:1, "As hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. "

Friends, Brothers and sisters I pray you all have this continuing panting for Him, the one and living God. I pray that even in the deserts of your life you seek His face waiting on Him, knowing He is your hope( Psalm 71:5 ) and portion( Psalm 73:26 ). I'd venture to say I have yet to see the most difficult times of my life, but have had some challenges already in my Christian walk. I know this the very reason I am who I am is because of Him and I've made it every step because of His strength. One of the greatest joys I have is looking forward to time in His Word. Think on these words of encouragement from the psalmist and be encouraged to grow deeper and closer to God, " My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me."( Psalms 63:8 ). Is your soul following hard after Him? Do desire Him with everything that you are? Friends, please know I say this these things as encouragement and pray without ceasing( 1 Thessalonians 5:17 ) for you, just as I pray for myself to grow as well and do ask your prayers as well. Remember as I've stated before we never get to the "I've made it" stage and stop needing prayers. No instead we continue growing day by day learning from Him, being lead by Him and all for His glory.


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: