Thursday, April 30, 2009

His Grace Is Sufficient ( 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 )

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this passage the apostle Paul speaks of a thorn which was given to him and that he inquired of the Lord to remove it three times. Christ responds to him this way for my grace is sufficient for thee. Wow, those words right there are encouragement to me. Remember sometimes we may be given things in our lives that may not go away. We need to be like the apostle Paul and if we inquire of God to remove it and His response is no, that we need to realize it is for our good. I've come to realize in my own life with my weaknesses I can still say I'm strong. I say this not based on who I or what skill I have,but because of Christ. That is what he means by my strength is made perfect in weakness. When instead of saying I can't do this cause I just don't have that skill or I'm not able, but instead rely solely on God it is amazing how things happen. Friends I didn't ask to have to wear glasses,but does that mean I can't serve Christ, no. I'm not the greatest speaker,but I instead trust that the Lord will give me the words to speak when need be. I love how he says that he would rather glory in infirmities that the power of Christ rest on him. Praise God despite your weaknesses. Praise God in your afflictions and give Him the glory. I find it amazing all the things the apostle Paul went through and how he pressed forward to share the gospel. He relied not on his own strength,but the perfect strength of Christ.

Friends for me I know each day I can say I'm strong because of who lives in me. For as it is written greater is in me than he that is in the world( 1 John 4:4). Verse 10 says a lot...no matter what persecuted, afflicted, distressed still say you are strong for you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you( Philippians 4:13). Sadly I think people today get this idea I can do it and I can all situations. They basically say I don't need anyone unless its really a big thing then life goes back to" I" got it. Friends I was actually just talking to a sister(in Christ) on the phone not long ago and remember what discipleship 101 is deny yourself,take up your cross daily, and follow Him( Luke 9:23). Friends the I mentality is not a reliance on Him, its a reliance on self and what the individual can do. Now I'm not saying you sit and do nothing,but friends this life is not about us, its about Jesus. It's like a brother(in Christ) and yes the Lord has blessed me with much family, have talked about the Old Testament points to the cross and the New Testament after the gospels points back to the cross with of course the gospel focusing on Jesus. To sum it up the bible is about, Jesus. So friends I encourage you if you have inquired of God about something and He has said no. Don't feel down or discouraged. Realize this He can use it for your good. Remember as Christ said to Paul my grace is sufficient.

So brothers and sisters take joy for those things because of Christ sake. Know that you don't suffer as a criminal or as a stranger( 1 Peter 4:15-16 ). Know that things we go are for our good even if we can't see it. For know this the trying of our faith worketh patience( James 1:3 ). For three months I couldn't drive and I'll tell it was tough,but God used, used to humble me more. Now looking back I'm thankful and see where God has brought me to and where I've grown in Him. This walk is ever continuing and I'm ever growing. Hold fast and fight the good fight my friends.

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

1 comment:

Allen Skipper said...

Your devotions are awesome!