Saturday, April 4, 2009

What Is Love ? ( 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 )

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know it always amazes me what God lays on my heart. I love this section cause as we know God is love,but not just any love...true love. See so many things in this world have been labeled love and believe me they are far from it. Think about when a guy or girl says man that person is hot I love them. That is not love that is lust. I'm sure someone would say John your jumping to a conclusion,but am I? Now I'm not going to get on a soapbox, but just do think about it.

Going back this set of verses describes love, true love. Love is patient and love is kind. True love most certainly waits. Now with that said I can go with that two ways. One as the bible clearly states sexual relations is made for those who are married. Sadly in this generation people are just having sexual partners outside of marriage like its a no big deal. Sadly what the culture sees as kids "growing up" is sin and we know what the wages of sin are( Romans 6:23 ). Now on the other hand true love waits can be waiting on God's best. Another words nothing just getting in a relationship just cause your single. Instead holding out for someone who has the same passion for Christ as you do. Now I know some of you may be thinking how do I determine this? Don't over thing about it. Instead let God direct your heart. Stay focused on Him and serving Him. I've found for me my waiting on marriage is not the normal waiting as what people think when they hear waiting. When you hear waiting you think of someone sitting down and not doing anything. I've decided that instead I am going to continue to serve Him and worship Him. Another words I've decided to just continue to living for Him and when in His time, I will enter into a new season no longer single.

Another thing the Apostle Paul writes is love is not jealous nor does it brag. By definition to be jealous is to feel resentment towards someone because of something they have. Now I'm sure some might dispute and I hope not believers , where it says God is a jealous God( Exodus 20:5 ). For one when a married man is jealous of a man who is trying to pursue his wife that is righteous jealousy( 2 Corinthians 11:2 ) versus a man being jealous of his neighbor having a new car. Like I said last night we were bought with a price and God has every right to jealous over us when someone tries to harm us, come after or deceive us, we are His. It doesn't brag, wow don't think I need to explain that one. Take a look at our society and how they brag and look at what I can do. Talk about a sick twisted form of self love, it makes me sick.

In verse 5 it says that it does not seek it own. Another it is not self absorbed. Wow talk about the complete opposite of what our society is all about. Like I stated just a few sentences above America is quite selfish. Think about do all you can to get to the top, don't care who you hurt. Isn't that what they teach? Sure they say work as team,but think about isn't that just the cute packaging they put on the outside just to cover it. Another thing it says in verse 5 is that is does not behave itself unseemly. Another words it does not act inappropriate. For example when dealing with those in charge of you you respect the position they have with love. It then goes on to say that is not easily provoked, thinketh evil. Another wards true love is not easily provoked to unrighteous anger or thoughts of evil. Now granted when we see sin or hear sin. I know since I made those statements I will need to clarify. Ever worked in retail and had a customer come in and use foul language. There sin, I heard it and boy did it make my stomach turn. Another example is seeing people smoking. Think about an addiction that has you drawn where you depend on it. You need it and it takes away part of your focus. Tell someone who smokes you can't have a cigarette and I guarantee it wouldn't be pretty. Whether they want to acknowledge it or not they are bound it and this is a form of idolatry. Are we not to love the Lord with all our hearts, soul ,and all our strength. How can we do this if we have go take a smoke break? Friends for me it just made sense when I came to Christ I gave up smoking. I realized the only addiction I needed was to Him and to His Word. So when dealing with situations like these treat with love and show compassion. Don't get over zealous like James and John did and want fireballs from heaven to come down( Luke 9:54 ). Instead show them the true love of Christ through sharing the gospel by living it.

In the next verse man it says it does not rejoice in iniquity, but in truth. Plain and simple true love does not rejoice in sin, but instead rejoice in truth. Easy way to distinguish love use the Word of God. I know sounds simple,but people just ain't doing it.

Then in verse 7 it says it bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. It bears all things another words it covers all things that means good times and bad things. The best way I can think of this is in marriage when it says for better or for worse. Now granted when you get married you should not rush into marriage as I stated above true love waits, but in part true love bears that each individual is not perfect and that instead you work out tough times through prayer. Sadly in our country if things get tough people take the "easy road" and choose divorce. Friends I promise God doesn't like divorce, in He hates it. God created the covenant of marriage to be lasting. People are no longer taking it seriously and hence we have a mess. Of course the problem is much deeper. Christ needs to be at the center of every relationship/marriage. It believes all things all things means it believes no matter what the situation things will work out. True love in a relationship will manage through storms. Sure there may be times where you think are we going to make it,but quickly God will confirm hold on I'll get you two through it.

Then in verse it also says it hopes and endures all things. It hopes all things, man this is something God has really worked on me personally. I've learned through patience to have hope in His promises. To know that despite what I see things will work out. That is love knowing that He who loved me first knows my deepest concerns gives me hope to just trust in Him alone. Then of course it says it endures all things. I tell you personally this is something I have learned and continue to learn. As Christians we learn that life isn't a bed of roses and that the road isn't wide nor easy,but when we focus on Christ we can find joy for our joy is in Him. I've mentioned it a lot,but I believe God allowed me to go through it to draw me closer to Him. Through it I saw and experienced love, how despite I was hurting knowing my grandmother was ill He sustained me. Through He taught me to have more dependence on Him. Truly I look back at that time and understand James 1:3. So many times when something bad happens people wanna blame God or basically go out of their mind. Instead I leaned on Him alone. Sure I was hurting and worn inside,but there was comfort I couldn't put in words. Still talking about brings tears, but I believe they are reminders of how loving He is. How He heard my soul crying and hurting,but knowing that through I was trusting in Him.

Friends I encourage you to love, not the way the world endorses, but as the Word teaches us. Show true love, love that does not envy, brag or is not arrogant. For anyone brothers or sisters in Christ who are single like myself I encourage you to wait on God's best. Believe me being single isn't a season of pain,but a time of spiritual growth. I know right now God is using this time to develop into the man He wants me to be so that when the time is right I can be the husband and father I need to be. I'm not going to rush Him ,but instead be obedient.


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: