Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Total Confidence In God ( Psalm 25:1-5 )

Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.

O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Psalm 25:1-5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I've said on a number of occasions I love the book of Psalms. There seems to be every topic covered there. In fact many times I find that is where I go when reading the bible outside of doing my devotionals and doing bible studies. I'm sure like many of my brothers and sisters in Christ can relate to how David felt in some of these Psalms. Despite however David felt in all situations he knew God was with him at all times. I love how he opens this one with " Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul." David always knew despite who he was running from or the trouble he was in that the Lord had his soul. This reminds me of when Jesus said of how we should not fear the one who kills the body,but instead the one who could kill both the body and the soul( Matthew 10:28 ). Friends all of us are appointed one death and then to judgment( Hebrews 9:27 ).

Sad thing is when faced with trouble, trials, or even death people are not willing to stand up for what they believe in, much less faith. Today sadly we live in a world where people praise the creation more than the creator. Don't believe it? Look at how they are going green, but removing God and everything that contains any mention or hint at Him from public places. Their excuse is separation of church and state. The more this country turns its back on God the worse things will get. Brothers and sisters I encourage you to be like David and trust in the Lord completely.

Then you see in the next two verses how it talks about those who trust in the Lord or wait on the Lord should never be ashamed. I agree there is nothing to be ashamed of in God or in His Word. His gospel is filled with love, mercy, and forgiveness. He paid our debt by sending His son to die on an old cross so we could have eternal life( John 3:16 ). Friends I haven't found anything in the Word that I'm ashamed of. Now looking back on my past sure I could find some things,but not in the Word.

Then you see in the fourth and fifth verse how David asked for God to direct his paths. Friends if we need guidance all we need to do is just ask God and He will show us. He doesn't hide it from us or make us do certain tasks to obtain it. All He is asks is that we ask. Awesome isn't it, to know God will help guide us every step of the way. Think about it He has given us armor to defend us from the enemy( Ephesians 6:10-17 ), the greatest weapon ever( Ephesians 6:17 ), He promised to be with us every step of the way( Deuteronomy 31:8 ) and on top of all of that He will guide us. Be encouraged everyday knowing that since God is for you brothers and sisters that we have no reason to fear. Remember as it is written the just shall live by faith( Habakkuk 2:4, Galatians 3:11 ) .

For anyone reading this tonight who not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and personal Savior I invite you to do. Ask Him into your heart and admit your a sinner in need of His forgiveness. Be real with Him and cast all your worries, doubts, and fears at His feet, the feet of mercy for He cares for you( 1 Peter 5:7 ). Repent of your old ways and find your identity in Jesus Christ( 2 Corinthians 5:17 ). Don't let your past or not being perfect get in the way( Psalm 103:12, Romans 3:23 ). Instead cast yourself upon His mercy( Luke 18:13 ). Remember He is waiting on you with arms wide open( John 3:16 ). In those arms you will find love( John 15:13 ), mercy( Romans 5:6-8 ), forgiveness( 1 John 1:9 ), and a grace that is sufficient( 2 Corinthians 12:9 ). Will you choose Him? Will you let Him set you free from the bonds of sin( John 8:36 )? I encourage you to do so. This is the single greatest choice you will ever make. It is a matter of life and death, life and death eternal( John 3:18 ). Don't wait, make the choice( Matthew 24:36 )!


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: