Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Christ's Grace Is Sufficient ( 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 )

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me first say when the Apostle Paul wrote this he had inquired of the Lord to remove some thorn( 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 ). What this thorn exactly was I'm not sure and I've read where some have thought it to be medical conditions. Whatever the case Jesus spoke to him and said His grace was sufficient and that strength is made perfect in weakness. Awesome isn't to know that His grace is sufficient. To be sufficient is enough, but more than that it covers all. Something God spoke to me that really touched my heart was in the area of relationships. He pointed out to me that no one can complete me, only He can do that, but that the day I do get married the women I marry will compliment me. He showed me that my former thoughts of how love worked were wrong. For that I am grateful and in that I am thankful His grace is sufficient for every need.

What I love in that verse is how Paul wrote how Christ spoke to him saying in my strength is made perfect in weakness. When we are weak we realize we can't do it on our own and we need Him. It's humility and for me I've found great strength in knowing He gets me through the storms of life and is the source of my joy. I am so thankful for God shutting up the prideful man I was. Now I'm sure some who knew me before would say no way, he's too shy. Friends just because a person is shy doesn't mean he or she can't be shy. For too many years of my life I lived for myself and that in itself showed pride in self. So my encouragement to those out there is if this is something your struggling with, ask God to help you.


Now look at the next verse I take pleasure in infirmities, reproaches, in necessities, persecutions and distresses for Christ's sake for when I'm weak I am strong. See this is something I've mentioned before and said last night in when being Christian isn't taking the easy road. You know sadly there are pulpits preaching choose Jesus and life gets easy. Read the gospels and Acts, doesn't sound easy does it. Like I stated last night Christ stated to those who will follow Him will deny themselves, take up their cross and follow Him. When you do, you will take joy such as Paul did. Despite being afflicted he took pleasure for he did it for Christ.

You know for me personally I've never been beaten or stoned, but through my afflictions I've learned to find joy. I've found joy in Him alone. Like I spoke last night when my grandmother was in the hospital I found my joy alone in God. I know some people get through days on caffeine, candy, or adrenaline...I get by on God. I know everyday that I make it through tough days or long days it is because His right hand upholding me. I know that when I've been up late and wake up refreshed it is because I found rest in Him alone. People may find me crazy or some may call me piteous. I prefer dependent on Jesus Christ and that His grace is sufficient.

So friends when your weak remember you are strong through Him who is our source of strength. Remember as it is written I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me( Philippians 4:13 ).


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: