Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jesus Christ: Outside Him We Can Do Nothing( John 15:5 )

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This verse is very familiar I'm sure to any Christian as part of the parable of the vine. In this verse here Jesus makes it clear that us that abide in Him bring much fruit. We know those fruits as the fruits of the spirit such as love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness,goodness,faith, meekness, and temperance( Galatians 5:22-23 ). Outside Him we can truly bear no fruit, no good fruit. Now I know some people will say I've met some good people and they seem to be peaceful or they have joy. My question is do they really have joy? Do they have the peace that passes all understanding( Philippians 4:7 ). Friends I've found the only true joy is in Jesus Christ. Don't get me wrong I do find joy in other things, but without Christ they are but dung as the Apostle Paul wrote( Philippians 3:8 ).

Without Christ who are we? The answer is simple, nothing. I find my identity in Him for it was Him who showed me all I could be. It was Him who laid down His life so I could have life eternal. I do this out of loving obedience for the one who gave me life and the one who has provided, who provides and who will continue to provide.

So friends I encourage you to grow in Him and to get deep in His Word. Continue reaching out to those who are lost as this year continues. Don't become discourage by the news or how things seem instead be encouraged through the Word of God and know that with His strength you can do all things( Philippians 4:13 ). An old testament prophet spoke it and Paul quoted him the just shall live by faith( Habakkuk 2:4, Romans 1:17 ).

For anyone reading this tonight who has not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and personal Savior I invite you to do so. Ask Him into your heart and admit your a sinner in need of His forgiveness. Be real with Him and cast all your worries, doubts, and fears at His feet, the feet of mercy for He cares for you( 1 Peter 5:7 ). Repent of your old ways and find your identity in Jesus Christ( 2 Corinthians 5:17 ). Don't let your past or not being perfect get in the way( Psalm 103:12, Romans 3:23 ). Instead cast yourself at His mercy( Luke 18:13 ). Remember He is waiting on you with arms wide open( John 3:16 ). In those arms you will find love( John 15:13 ), mercy( Romans 5:6-8 ), forgiveness( 1 John 1:9 ), and a grace that is sufficient( 2 Corinthians 12:9 ). Will you choose Him? Will you let Him set you free from the bonds of sin( John 8:36 ) ? I encourage you to do so. This is the single greatest choice you will ever make. It is a matter of life and death, life and death eternal( John 3:18 ). Don't wait, make the choice tonight( Matthew 24:36 )!


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: