Friday, November 7, 2008

No Greater Love ( John 15:13 )

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a powerful verse. No greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friends. Jesus not only spoke those,but showed us through example. Friends when I think of how much Jesus loved me that He choose the cross to pay for my sins it touches me. To some the cross would seem pointless, but to me I see inspiration and power( 1 Corinthians 1:18 ). It reminds me of how over 2000 years ago my savior died so I may live life more abundantly( John 10:10 ).

In this verse it shows you a true characteristic of true love. That characteristic is being unselfish. While ultimately the first thing that comes to mind is literally dying for those who you love. This also means dying to self. Another words like the Apostle Paul said I die daily( 1 Corinthians 15:31 ). It's like Jesus said deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me( Matthew 16:24 ). It's being willing to put the needs of others before yourself. Friends I could just share the good news of Jesus Christ and how He has done so much for me between brothers and sisters in Christ, but what would that really do. Sure it's fun sharing how the blessings and awesome things He has done in your life,but there is a greater need. That need is sharing the gospel with those who don't know Jesus Christ as Lord and savior. Sure this involves dying daily to what I want and instead focusing on who it is about and that is Jesus.

I've made it a point to those who know me if I have to die for my faith so be it. I'm not afraid of those who can take my life, but instead trust in the one who has care of my soul( Matthew 16:25-26 ). The one thing I remember is whether I live or die Christ will be glorified( Philippians 1:20-21 ). So friends I encourage you to share the gospel boldly. Be willing to share it even unto death. For remember as it is written all must die once then onto judgment( Hebrews 9:27 ).

For anyone reading this tonight who has not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and personal savior I invite you to do so. Ask Him into your heart and admit your a sinner in need of His forgiveness. Be real with Him and cast all your worries, doubts, and fears at His feet, the feet of mercy for He cares for you( 1 Peter 5:7 ). Repent of your old ways and find your identity in Jesus Christ( 2 Corinthians 5:17 ). Don't let your past or not being perfect get in the way( Psalm 103:12, Romans 3:23 ). Instead throw yourself upon His mercy( Luke 18:13 ). Remember He is waiting on you with arms wide open( John 3:16 ). In those arms you will find love( John 15:13 ), mercy( Romans 5:6-8 ), forgiveness( 1 John 1:9 ), and a grace that is sufficient( 2 Corinthians 12:9 ). Will you choose Him? Will you let Him set you free from the bonds of sin( John 8:36 )? I encourage you to do so. This is the single greatest choice you will ever make. It is a matter of life and death, life and death eternal( John 3:18 ). Don't wait make the choice tonight( Matthew 24:36 )!


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: