Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Beginning of Knowledge..... ( Proverbs 1:7 )

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my first opportunity to teach Sunday school I used this verse among others, but this one really came to mind. Cause first of all the beginning of true knowledge comes out of reverence/respect for the Lord. That is what the word fear here means, it doesn't imply what most of us think when we hear the word fear. When you have this deep sense of reverence and respect for Him it is amazing how much knowledge is open to you. Remember God resist the proud, but gives grace to the humble( James 4:6 ). The humble are open and have the heart that He is looking for. Remember Jesus set the standard by living the life of a servant. Despite being the Son of God, He still was out serving the people and died for our sins. Before coming to the cross I thought I was smart. Man did God humble me and I thank Him for it. I never realized how proud a man I was. Sad thing is today's society is becoming more and more like this. They are wanting people to be proud in what they do and neglect what God has done. Now I'm not saying you can't give yourself a pat on the back here and there,but we ultimately need to give credit where credit is due. I know the very fact I am here today is because of God. I know the reason I am breathing is because of Him. Science may give me a million reasons, but I know it was God who spoke and this world came into existence( Genesis 1:1 ).

Often times I think we all can get wrapped up in what we have done, how many times do we sit back and show Him the respect that is due and say thank you. I'm not saying always ,but you ever wonder why some days seem so crazy and God seems so distant or maybe you can't seem to hear that silent still voice. Take time and see if you have allowed some pride to step in between you and God. If so I encourage you to pray and ask God to remove it. I promise nothing is too big for Him.

For anyone reading this tonight who has not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and personal Savior I invite you to do so. Ask Him into your heart and admit your a sinner in need of His forgiveness. Be real with Him and cast all your worries, doubts, and fears at His feet, the feet of mercy for He cares for you( 1 Peter 5:7 ). Repent of your old ways and find your identity in Jesus Christ( 2 Corinthians 5:17 ). Don't let your past or not being perfect get in your way( Psalm 103:12, Romans 3:23 ). Instead cast yourself upon His mercy( Luke 18:13 ). Remember He is waiting on you with arms wide open( John 3:16 ). In those arms you will find love( John 15:13 ), mercy(Romans 5:6-8 ), forgiveness( 1 John 1:9 ), and a grace that is sufficient( 2 Corinthians 12:9 ). Will you choose Him ? Will you let Him set you free from the bonds of sin( John 8:36 ) ? I encourage you to do so. This is the single greatest choice you will ever make. It is a matter of life and death, life and death eternal( John 3:18 ). Don't wait, make the choice tonight( Matthew 24:36 ) !


God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: