Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Lesson On Love For Men ( Ephesians 5:28-29 )

So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Ephesian 5:28-29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do believe we are all familiar with this passage and its relevance to marriage. Granted I am a single man and have never been married, but understand what this means.I can't begin to tell you how it breaks my heart when I see men treat the one in whom they said I do to as if they were nothing. They do this in a number of degrading ways from calling them come here and hey you. This right here while some say hey that could be funny. Do you not realize that if a man can not treat a woman with respect he in turn is not showing reverence to God? Some would gather I may be being picky, but friends as the Apostle Paul wrote in verse 21 that we are to submit to one another in reverence to God( Ephesians 5:21 ). That by our submission and showing common dignity and respect we in turn do not do it to elevate them by any means,but do it in reverence to God. This is not the only way,but others tend to make me ill and I would not repeat. Truly in those times it obvious the love of Christ constrains me.

Now I will move into the passage. In verse 28 it says men ought or in our modern English should love women as they love their own bodies. From what I see in a majority of marriages today seeing as the job I work and even when I go in stores there are clearly men who don't do this. Granted a great majority of these men maybe haven't been in church or better off it is evidence there has not been a work done so in their life. This isn't being judgmental this is being honest. Friends you know as well as I do that when Christ comes in you don't stay the same. It just isn't possible. Anyone who tells you that you can stay at the same place in your life where He found you is lying to you. He can meet you anywhere and in any circumstance, He is mighty to save, but I promise He won't leave you there. There is no such thing as a carnal Christian you just won't find it in scripture.

Moving on men should love their wives as they love their own bodies. Men now I know some of my brothers on here may be single as I,but take this advice to heart as you may be married one day. How well do you take care of your body and care for it. The Apostle in no way is saying be a narcissist, but just as you care for the body in which the Lord has given you and would not destroy it nor forget to upkeep it. Take care of your wife in the same manner. Take care of her, nurture her, defend her, and if it comes to be,be willing to die for her, just as Christ laid down His life for us His bride the church( Ephesians 5:25 ). Friends as men we are not called to be wimps,but men( 1 Corinthians 16:13 )!

Friends, brothers it would do you well to read and read it often as you may 1 Corinthians 13. Granted I've made mention of this before,but the very depth of true love is something we can never get enough of. Men do you really want to be a father or husband one day then take time to read it as much as possible. Understand what it means to truly love in such a way. Granted we by no means are perfect,but seek to love as Christ did. That is sacrificial love. Remember love cares not about its own( 1 Corinthians 13:5 ), but cares about the wants and needs of others.

Think on what it says in verse 29 it says no man ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it. Today this sadly paints the picture of what I see. The way men treat women is this way. The reason being is they have forgotten what wedding vows mean anymore and hence forgotten that when they say I do they become one flesh( Genesis 2:23-24 ). Like I stated earlier it breaks my heart,but indeed shows me of the times in which we live in.

Brothers while this obviously seems as more for you, sisters read this as encouragement well. For the brothers I encourage to you to be Ephesian 5 men. Do not be like this world, do not conform to it( Romans 12:2 ), but instead seek to conform daily to the image of Christ Jesus our risen King,Saviour and Lord. For my sisters I pray for you encourage the men you know to be men as this and to not settle for anything less than God's best. Be women of Proverbs 31. Granted by no means there is no such perfect person,but seek a man who has a heart after the Lord's. This can be said for the brothers as well don't think your going to find Miss perfect instead find a women as this, "Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised ( Proverbs 31:30 ) ". Talk about an attractive woman one whom fears the Lord.

Be encouraged my brethren and seek to please the Lord in all you do. Do not waste your life on trifles of this life. Don't take part in the waste of this vanity fair that the rest of the world is engaging in. Instead be on the battlefield for the Lord. This isn't a game, it is a war( 1 Timothy 1:18 ). The weapons are not of flesh, but they are mighty they are prayer and the preaching of the gospel. I leave you with these encouraging words from the Apostle Paul:

"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses."
(1 Timothy 6:12)

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: