Thursday, August 13, 2009

Be Both Real And Reverent With God ( Psalm 61:1-2 )

Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalms 61:1-2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight as I was thinking about writing this devotional I thought about different passages as does happen. This tends to happen naturally for one as I believe one of writing them, reading the Word, studying the Word and as I've stated to be consumed by Him is to have His Words on ones mind continually. It has touched my heart how when I talk to other brethren how they share the same thoughts how God and His Word is the central focus of their lives. This is in essence is being a living sacrifice( Romans 12:1 ). Remember that we are not our own as we who are believers have been bought with a price( 1 Corinthians 6:20 ).

In the opening verse of this psalm David states hear my cry, O God attend unto my prayer. While to us that is very archaic in language as none of us would use attend unto or maybe say it this way, David here is addressing God. He is petitioning God. As I've said before David was a man after God's heart and through that he was real and reverent to God. In this you see it by him both being honest that there is a request that is needed,but still remembering who he is addressing. When we go in prayer we should do the same. This means friends we remember it is God almighty who we are talking to and while yes we can be honest cause He knows all. It by no means gives us the room to be irreverent and act like all the sudden we can lose our minds cause we have been called into fellowship with Him. As you read in the psalms that David wrote he often wrote about times where things weren't going right, how things weren't going his way, but even through it all he was reverent and still he remembered who was on the throne. I can't stress it enough how when we go in prayer that being real and reverent is how we should act. If this makes it easier think about this He knows everything and remember He is God.

Moving on to verse two, we see that David's heart is overwhelmed. I know there have been times in my walk where I've had this happen. It's not that I'm not a Christian, its just that I'm human. See like I pointed to above its being real before God. It's acknowledging God I can't handle this I need you. Now granted we must totally depend on Him always. What I mean is there is times literally where we are attacked on all sides. This can of course can be looked at twofold as one, you may have brought this on yourself. As you read in the Word even those faithful made errors and it did catch up with them. Friends none of us are perfect,but this in no way leave us with excuse. This is why we need to be nourished( 1 Timothy 4:6 ) daily to renew our minds( Romans 12:2 ) and prepare ourselves for the daily temptations and battles that await. If you think your fights are one time or here and there your mistaken we have an active adversary( 1 Peter 5:8 ). Two, this could come about as a trial to strengthen you. Remember all things work for our good( Romans 8:28 ). Granted we can't see it for the most part at the current time,but it does. The thing is and often times I remember Proverbs 3:5. With that it sets my mind at ease. Truly resting in the Lord and His Word is where I can find comfort at all times. For in it I find the true peace in which I need.

One other note I'd like to add is David says at the end of this verse is lead me to the rock that is higher than I. This rock we know is Christ. Have you ever needed a time of refuge from the storm. This is what Christ is to us in one manner of speaking. In this we can find both a place to hide from the storm and find rest. This makes me think of verses in both the 23 psalm and the 3rd psalm they go as follows, " I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me. ( Psalm 3:5 ) & He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. ( Psalm 23:2-3 ) . " How grateful am I for the Rock that is higher than I. How grateful that it is He who sustains me and will finish the work in which He began( Philippians 1:6 ).

Be encouraged brethren that we serve a faithful God. What a joy it is to rest in Him! To know that He is the one who sustains us. Brethren when you seek Him be both real and reverent for it is the Lord God almighty for whom ye speak with. I leave you with these encouraging words from the Apostle Paul to Christians in Rome:

"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
( Romans 8:37-39 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: