Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Think Before You Speak ( Proverbs 15:1 )

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Proverbs 15:1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good evening and God bless. I know it has been sometime since I last wrote,but school just started last week. Already it has been awesome what I've been encouraged by as I've seen a number of brethren since starting school. In addition on most mornings I get there earlier enough to read in the Word before my first class which is the perfect way to start school and honestly the best way to start any day. Before I get into the devotional tonight I do ask your prayers as I enter this semester. It is going to be a long semester with me getting up at 5am Monday through Thursday in addition to the numerous things that go along with being back in college(hw,exams, etc.). Now without further adieu.

Currently I'm actually reading from cover to cover and recently I read through this proverb. I must say when I read this it made me think about how some problems or areas we deal with could be handled better if we truly took this passage to heart. Think on what Solomon writes here, a soft answer turneth away wrath,but grievous words stir up anger. To bring this in modern english , this would be the same to say that a soft/gentle answer turns away a possible heated or provoking situation. Too often I've seen or even experienced(not part of) conversations that got out of control based on this. Simply put I believe we let our pride get in the way or our emotions. When in a conversation with someone and you two reach a point of disagreement there is two ways to handle it. One you can handle it like a child which too many people do and to be honest that is not biblical. The other way it can be handled is by acting mature and talking the issue on as adults. Everything we do must be done with love and true love is mature. This is one reason I would recommend all Christians take heart and read the very qualities of true love( 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ).

The best way I can illustrate this is by using this analogy of some sort, don't use the "fist fighting" approach. Instead stand firm,but do so in love. Think about what the Apostle Paul said to the men at Corinth( 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 ).Notice there he admonished them, by declaring them to be men, but also instructed that in being men they do so in love. They would have known exactly what he meant as he explained so well earlier in the same letter on what true love is.

Take heart to this verse brethren. Think how many arguments and misunderstandings we could possibly avoid. Think also on this what are you communicating to the other person by exhibiting such a hard tone or by stirring up such animosity between the two of you. Remember we are to love one another, in fact we would be known by how we love one other( John 13:34-35 ). Remember our words should be edifying to those around us( Ephesians 4:29 ), not tearing one another apart.

Brethren be encouraged throughout your walk to encourage your brothers and sisters. You never know how much a word of encouragement means. Remember as Solomon pointed out here that a soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger. Let us encourage and edify one another, not tear each other down. Remember we are one body( Ephesians 4 ) and we work together, for Christ is not divided. I leave you now with these encouraging words from the Apostle Paul:

" Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. "

(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 )

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: