Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Gracious & Merciful Lord Whom We Serve ( Psalm 103:8-11 )

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.

He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.

He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

Psalms 103:8-11

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This psalm is one I do believe a favorite of some and known in part to others by a song by Casting Crown, "East To West" which comes from verse 12. Tonight I wish to cover some verses which touched my heart as I read them this week. I pray and hope they do the same for you as well my brethren. I can't recall if it was today or yesterday as I was doing my daily bible reading, but I read this psalm which I've read before,but I love how no matter how much you read scripture it continues to get sweeter. So was the case with this passage.

First in verse 8 we get characteristics of God. These were revealed in scripture as we know to Moses( Exodus 34:6-7 ). First off we see He is merciful. I know something I've stated before is I know mercy for He has shown it to me. To show mercy is show compassion to someone. That someone is usually an offender and with that in mind it isn't something they deserve. Think about it friends when you think about it do we really deserve mercy? You know I saw a sign and they did have something up that was true, we want mercy, but we deserve justice. That is the truth think about it none of us have lived perfect lives in fact the scriptures indicate all have fallen short of the glory of God( Romans 3:23 ).In fact scripture indicates that He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy( Romans 9:15 ). By His very standards we deserve eternal damnation,but the great news and joy to those of us who have placed our trust and hope alone in Christ know that we have eternal life. Why ? Cause Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and paid for His people( Matthew 1:5, Ephesians 5:25 ) on the cross. See He took the wrath of God on the cross, the very thing in which we deserve He took for His people. So when I say I know mercy for I've been shown, yes I am grateful for mercy. Next it also says He is gracious as well. So we see that He shows us this mercy that we don't deserve and it is by His grace. This grace by the way is not earned. Is it not evidenced by what I stated before our lives didn't earn us anything deserving of eternal life. In fact what the bible does teach is this," For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. ( Ephesians 2:8-10 )" We have no credit to take,but instead give all glory to God for Him showing this grace to us that is neither merited nor earned( Ephesians 2:9 ). The psalmist concludes the verse with He is plenteous in mercy. What an encouragement, this is to say that His mercy doesn't run out today or the next day, or that it ran out back then. This says that He has plenty of mercy. Praise God that His mercies are renewed daily( Lamentations 3:22-23 ).

Moving into verse 9, the psalmist states he will not always chide neither keep his anger forever. Granted my friends when we err and do sin the Lord will correct us. The scriptures do indicate this, but friends He will not be angry with us forever. This chastening is used for correcting. His purpose in correcting His own is for His glory, not one of let me see how I can make them miserable today. I'd venture to say people have an idea of God as a child sitting on an ant hill with a microscope waiting to scorch them. Granted His wrath does abide on those who don't believe( John 3:36 ), but what we must see is the psalmist is referring to the believer not the unbeliever. Remember this as well what the Apostle John wrote in his epistle, " If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. ( 1 John 1:9 ) " Like I stated His chiding is used to rebuke when we are wrong. Remember those whom He corrects He loves ( Proverbs 3:12 ).

As I covered to an extent and I'll say as this verse addresses here in verse 10 that the Lord has not dealt with us both in the context for the psalmist and us as believers today. The Lord gives us mercy those of us who are His. I know if not for His mercy I would get what I deserve. For that I am thankful. When one becomes aware that He doesn't get what he deserves, but instead thanks God for it there is a beauty in it. What I mean is this, that no longer do you look at yourself and say hey I'm something else. Instead you say man look at what God has done for me. Everything in your life rotates around Him. You recognize there are things in your life you don't deserve,but thank Him for the very blessings in which He bestows so graciously. Do you see what I mean? The attitude becomes one of God-centered and not man-centered. I think often on Matthew 6:33. When it says seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto thee. What comes to mind first and foremost is a God-centered attitude. One where my desire and passion is all about Him. That He is my everything and that He is whom I seek first in my life. When that happens naturally everything comes. Does this mean life goes perfect? No, but it does mean that the Lord will provide. Remember the Lord gives us what we need, not everything that we want.

Moving on to verse 11, it describes how great His mercy is. Talk about the very depths of His mercy. It describes it as far above the height of the heavens of the earth. This just showing it knows no bounds and is tremendous. Like I stated earlier God doesn't run out of mercy and has plenty of it as I went to describe above in the second paragraph. Notice what it then says at the end of this verse. It talks of how great is His mercy towards those who fear Him. The best way I can describe this is to let the scriptures do it," Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread
( Isaiah 8:13 )" Hear again let me let the scriptures paint another picture of godly fear, " Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; (Isaiah 66:5 ) " There is nothing wrong with godly fear for it brings reverence to His name and His Word. I must say I've never heard too many a pastor these days warn their congregation to fear God or tremble at His Word. I'm not saying having them be scared of Him like a monster,but we do need to recognize who He is.

Brethren be encouraged by this. Know this, that those who know the Lord do fear Him, but this fear is not as we think in our language or context it is a godly fear. As I stated and gave examples in scriptures. Be encouraged to get to know Him through His Word. Seek His face and grow in Him I pray. May I leave with these words of encouragement from the Apostle Paul:

"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. "
( 1 Timothy 6:12 )

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: