Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Keep On Praying! ( 1 Thessalonians 5:17 )

Pray without ceasing.
1 Thessalonians 5:17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it as most of us have read this passage or heard it read. Do you understand what it truly means to pray without ceasing. Well, to a majority of people their idea of praying is bending your knees, clasping your hands together, closing your eyes and being silent. Granted that is a form of prayer and is what we refer to as silent meditation and there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes our prayer is in this form is where we speak to the Father without our lips moving nor others hearing what we are saying. Of course we all know this is not possible to be done continuously in this fashion since most of us either work or well, we have families to attend or life in general. So what does it mean by pray without ceasing.

Like I've mentioned before and I do believe most Christians have this concept,but for those who don't I pray this is encouraging and brings you great joy. Prayer is communication between you and the Father. Awesome to know we have direct access to the Father through the Son. Awesome to know we have a mediator who is there on our behalf bringing our prayers before the Father.

Now let me divulge into what prayer is and isn't. Prayer isn't a laundry list of what you want God to do for you. Prayer isn't about how God can please you today. Granted God blesses His children,but the focus isn't about us. So many times people get the wrong idea about prayer that it is about them and what they need God to fix. Let me share with you encouragement on what it is. What prayer is, is communication between us( Christians ) and God. While as I stated He does bless His children. It is more about conforming us and our will to His will. As this happens when we go to Him in prayer we begin to ask of Him in accordance of His will.

Let me give you example of my own life and being as I have stated, transparent. As I've mentioned before I'm 26 and as much as I'd love to be married and have kids I've left my "love life/story" in the Father's hand. In times past with different christian girls I met I prayed about it and asked for His will to be done. Now granted those words are the most hardest to even though they are only five words try saying them and meaning them and then seeing them lived out. Time and time again God's will has been to this point for me to be single. Am I unhappy? No, for me my joy is in Him and my growing knowledge daily of Him. Has this taken the desire of marriage away? No, in fact He has just shown me daily the greater depth of how to be a better father and husband if it be His will for my life. Brothers and sisters to trust your life and situations in prayer and to say your will be done is what we need to do. It is recognizing He knows our best and putting a complete dependence on Him. Tell me this when has the Lord led you astray? Never! Now how many times have you tried doing things your way and where has it gotten you? Probably discouraged, thinking why did I do this or even asking His forgiveness for making the wrong choice. The point I'm trying to illustrate is prayer is going to Him communicating our needs before Him and trusting Him to know our best. As it is written," trust in the Lord at all times with all thine heart and lean not on thine own understanding"( Proverbs 3:5 ).

Like I stated before most get the idea of prayer as some bowing with eyes shut, but remember prayer is communication between the believer and the Father. It can be silent or out loud. Granted don't act as the pharisees to get the attention of others unless that is the reward in which you seek. It can be with eyes open or eyes closed. I used to think my eyes had to be closed for reverence,but reverence is your attitude in which not only a knee is bowed,but a heart is as well. You acknowledge who you are speaking to. David really understood this well, he spook to God being both real and reverent. Be honest with God, but reverent. Let God know your pains, joys, trials and everything. After all it is not like He doesn't know.

Be encouraged brethren to be in constant communication with Him . I can't begin to tell how much I enjoy time with the Father in prayer. Now while I encourage you in this I by no means would say this to have this replace time in the Word. Instead add more time in prayer along with the Word. I leave you with these encouraging words from David in Psalm 62,

" He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.

In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah. "
( Psalm 62:6-8 )

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: