Monday, August 31, 2009

The Christian Conflict ( Philippians 1:21-24 )

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Philippians 1:21-24

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I've read this book a couple of times and I do believe the 21 verse of this chapter is very familiar to most if not all Christians. For me I see it truly as the Christian conflict. As much as we desire to go home to be with the Lord we still know that for us to remain here is most fruitful or beneficial to those who need us here and the work to be done. Make no mistake of what I'm saying as in no way am I exalting the creation, but instead seek to show how the earnest believer feels. This acknowledging both their longing for home in heaven and their work here till the Lord calls them home . Now I'd like to divulge into the passages and touch on some points that have caught my eyes and I pray they encourage you.

First off in verse 21 the Apostle Paul writes for me to live is Christ, and to die is a gain. Can we say zeal for Christ. Think about it friends Paul is expressing that whether in his life or in his death Christ will be glorified. Friends do we take this attitude in our lives? Do we take heart at passages such as Deuteronomy 4:29,Deuteronomy 6:5, Matthew 6:33, and 1 Corinthians 2:2 and see that in each of these stands a centrality of a God-centered life. This should be our desire in life is Him. Am I perfect, have I achieved this? Sadly, no, but I recognize I have not reached perfection, but strive daily to conform myself daily to the image of Jesus Christ. In fact the words of the Apostle Paul are quite encouraging as he recognized this as well, but despite it he ran the race of patience and fought the good fight: " Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do,forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14 ). So yes I may not be perfect,but that neither condones it nor says I give up, but only motivates me to press on to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


Another point which I'd like to touch on which I made mention on in my opening is the Christian conflict of being torn. This is of wanting to go home to be with Christ, but also realizing those who needs us here and the work the Lord has called us to. For some have been called to preach, others have the gift of teaching , and numerous other gifts. The point being that while we are here we have gifts in which the Lord has given us and while here we are most beneficial to them. I must say I have begun to understand this more as I've begun to grow more and more in the faith. My longing for home has grown and I truly believe that longing only deepens as every day passes. At the same time I also have seen that everyday the Lord gives me to be here that He has a purpose for me and I simply ask Him how can He use me today. That I'd say is one of many things that has changed in my Christian walk as I've matured. It's amazing how when your a young Christian you ask that God can let you do this and that, but you don't want to do this or that. Now as I stated my request is of the Lord use me for your glory as it seems good in your eyes. I want all that I do, seek to please Him and bring His name glory. I may not be perfect,but I take heart when it says about being a living sacrifice( Romans 12:2 ).


Brethren be encouraged that if these are your feelings don't feel ashamed. I truly believe we who have put our trust in Christ alone are longing for the day in which we go home to see Him face to face. Till that day serve the Lord in the area in which He has gifted you. Continue reaching out to the lost. Remember we need to follow the example of our Lord who was always busy about His Father's business. May I leave you with these encouraging words from our Lord and Saviour:


"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

( Matthew 5:3-12 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: