Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blessed Are Those Who Hunger & Thirst For Righteousness ( Matthew 5:6 )

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Matthew 5:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe we, brothers and sisters are familiar with this passage of scripture. Here is part of the beginning of Christ's Sermon on the Mount. These here are referred to as the beatitudes.The word beatitude means blessed coming from the Latin word beatus hence the beatitudes. Last Friday what a blessing it was to be among brethren to enjoy sharing testimonies and worshiping the living God. As we sang one of the worship songs it got me thinking about this beatitude. Then again Monday night I thought about it once again and as I was just washing dishes this verse was once again impressed upon my heart. So brethren I pray and hope this encourages you.

As our dear Lord and Saviour spoke these very words look at what He said blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Those who hunger and thirst. Do you know what it means to hunger and thirst for something. By definition this is a craving or an urgent need for something. Most cases we would use this for food, but friends do you see the language Jesus used here when addressing the people. That those who are blessed are those who hunger for righteousness. This directly relates to when He would later state that He was the manna from Heaven( John 6:33). Of course the pharisees didn't get it and unless converted( Mark 4:12 ) the carnal mind doesn't get it either( 1 Corinthians 2:14 ). What He meant was feasting on the Word of God. In addition Jesus also spoke of those who thirst for righteousness this makes me think of what David wrote in Psalm 42, in verse one of how the Deer was panting for the river brook, so did his soul for God. This is a blessed man whose soul is panting/thirsting after righteousness.

Notice at the end of the verse it says they shall be filled. Now some would gather this means they are filled and they don't ever need anymore. Well, what this means they are satisfied by Him alone,but continue to crave. No where in scripture does it indicate you ever get enough of God and don't want more. In fact what I read is men and women who desire more and more fellowship with God. Think about the Apostle Paul his life was all about spreading the gospel, he carried more about God than his own life. Talk about hungering and thirsting for righteousness. It cost him his life,but it didn't matter, cause as it is written, " For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. ( 1 Corinthians 2:2 )" That is desire and passion for God.

Friends on Monday night I missed reading in the Word and I can not begin to tell you how hungry I went to bed. Granted I ate three meals( breakfast,lunch, and dinner), but missing a day in His Word left me hungry that night. To some that may sound odd or even strange. To me I can't stand missing a day. For as it is written man can not live by bread alone,but by every word that comes from God's mouth( Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4 ). I can miss a meal and granted some would say John you have lost enough weight you don't want to do that. I'd say thank you for your concern, but I'd leave that to God,but missing nourishment for my soul is quite another. Granted there is no requirement or set on how much you should be in it, but I ask why would you not want to be in it daily. What would keep you from it? What is more important than His Word ? For as it is written, " Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. ( Matthew 6:33 ) " This should be the attitude of the believer God first and foremost. Brethren I encourage you to spend more time being nourished in His Word and grow in Him. Remember there is nothing and I mean nothing in this world that satisfies like Him.

May I leave you with this word from the Word from the Apostle Paul's letter to Timothy.

" Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. " (2 Timothy 2:15)

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: