Monday, July 20, 2009

Let Both Thought And Speech Be Acceptable In HIS Sight ( Psalm 19:14 )

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted tonight this text comes at the end of the Psalm I do believe it to be quite a profound verse. To me when I read it, it really makes me think as does all scripture. See when we as believers read the Word of God it should impact us in that we take Him at His Word. Think about what this verse states let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight O Lord. Before I continue think about what the psalmist is saying here that he is wanting both what he says and thinks to be acceptable before God. Friends think of that? Do you consider what you said today or recently has it been pleasing in His sight? Now I'm not saying be paranoid,but I am saying we do need to seek to please Him in all we do and this does include our speech. Think of what it says in the Apostle Paul's epistle to the church at Ephesus, " Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. ( Ephesians 4:29 ) " In another translation it says unwholesome speech, another words friends when we speak just as this passage indicates it should minister grace and edify or build up others. This completely correlates with what the psalmists is stating by being acceptable in the sight of the Lord.

Now I'm sure some would say well, what about meditations/thoughts? I'm sure they would say how can one make sure these are acceptable in His sight. I have a very easy and honest answer. You must constantly renew and nourish your mind in the scriptures. Think about it my friends what will you be on your mind if your in the scriptures daily? Might I give you an example of my own life and how continual time and devotion to time in His Word has done this for me. Friends I barely have a moment daily in which I think not of Him. What runs through my mind and in my time of communion with Him is thinking on scripture I've read recently or verses in which He brings to my remembrance. He has done this for me in times when I need His comfort and confirm others through scripture. Not only this,but I consider scripture when I think on all things, even as I eat dinner. Believe me when I sing in praise and worship He is my everything I mean it. I am learning daily what it means to be consumed by Him daily. So my advice you fill your self with good and out comes good. Remember it is out of the heart where the issues of life come( Proverbs 4:23 ) and Jesus spoke on this when confronted by the pharisees about His disciples not washing their hands before eating( Matthew 15:10-20 ) .

Before I knew Christ I could say very few of my meditations were acceptable in His sight, not to mention my speech. You know thinking on my speech it is amazing how the Lord has changed it. Before I came to Christ while I may have seemed like a nice guy my speech would have showed anything the sort. In some public arenas it would seem I was a nice guy,but others I had a foul mouth. Praise God for changing me. Now the sin I used to love I abhor. Friends the more I grow in Him, the more I become thankful of Him saving me and changing me. This I believe is the attitude of the believer to have an attitude of gratitude for the work He has,is and will continue to do in your life. For as it is written, "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: ( Philippians 1:6 ) "

Continuing on in this verse the psalmist, David writes of the Lord as his strength and redeemer. First we have that the Lord is our strength. So many times in the Psalms as we read the Lord is referred to our strength and oh the very truth in it. I can't begin to count the times in which it has been by His strength I have endured. I've made mention of this before,but back in November of last year when my grandmother was in the hospital it was Him who upheld me by His strength. I can truly declare this for by other no means did I make it through. Nearly a half a year later and she is fine and still here. David also declares the Lord to be his redeemer. Job( Job 19:25 ) also declares and we as believers can declare this as well for Christ redeemed His people( Galatians 3:13 ) when He went to Calvary. On that tree He took the wrath of God and laid His life down for His people/the church( Isaiah 53:5,2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24,Ephesians 5:25 ).

Brethren be encouraged throughout your daily walk to seek to please Him both in your thoughts and speech. Granted we know we aren't perfect,but in no means leave this as an excuse. Instead seek to conform yourself to the image of Christ daily. Pray for His strength for as it is written, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me( Philippians 4:13 ). " Here is something that often comes to mind in prayer, I ask for Him to guide me, lead me, teach me, correct me, preserve me, and strengthen me. Do you notice something? A total dependence on Him and a recognizing just as the Apostle Paul that I haven't obtained perfection( Philippians 3:13 ),but I press on toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus( Philippians 3:14 ).

Be encouraged to press on and run the race with patience. Don't lose heart my brethren.I leave you with words from our Lord and Saviour.

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. "
Matthew 16:25


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: