Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm Not Ashamed Of The Gospel! ( Romans 1:16 )

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 1:16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This text while coming in about the middle of the first chapter of Romans does speaks volumes I do believe. To me this should be the attitude when we share the gospel. That when we share we are not ashamed. Friends to not be ashamed is to not have any shame, guilt or disgrace. Instead we can stand on it with all joy knowing the very truth of the gospel on which we share. The apostle Paul knew this first hand as it was Christ who saved him. Remember his conversion on the road to Damascus. On that road while it may have seemed to him at the time that he was doing the work of God( John 16:2 ). He instead was lost and needing the saving of Christ. Remember the very words of the apostle when he writes in his letter to the church at Philippi that he counted all things a loss compared to the knowledge of Christ( Philippians 3:8 ). Friends it is not enticing speech nor fancy delivery which saves a man,but it the power of God which does it.

Think of this brothers and sisters how many times do people offer you worthless items and say man you have got to have this or that. Saying without this you won't be in style or you will be lacking. I know we have all heard this especially if we have been in any retail outlet or picked up our phones and gotten a telemarketer. Now think brethren while they offer items that you may temporarily or in most cases don't need. Think what we as believers have to offer those who are lost? We have the gospel of Christ which has the power of God unto salvation. Friends do you hear that? This means what we have to share isn't just something, it is everything! You know I work in retail and have a hard time selling some products plainly cause I just don't see their value. Now when it comes to sharing my faith I see the eternal value and weight of where people spend eternity. I don't think well, this may offend them. Once again I will reiterate I think more of where they could spend eternity if I don't share. I can't save them,but I do have an obligation to share the hope that is in me, this is part of the great commission. Being a Christian isn't a private thing.

What I'd also like to point out in this verse is how the apostle points to that it includes not just the Jews, but the Greeks or gentiles as well. This is beautiful because for anyone who has read most of their bible or should I say the Old Testament the promises,the covenants, and such were only given to the Jewish, the Israelites. Talk about the joy in knowing that because of Christ I have been grafted into the vine. As we come to see the church would be made of Christians and there would be no division between Jew and Gentile. So first to the Jew then the Gentile.

Friends when you share your faith do not be afraid. I think often times what scares us is what they will think of us or what to say. Consider this when it comes on what to say. God will provide what to say( Jeremiah 1:6-9 ),but at the same time do not become lazy and forget to spend time in the scriptures. What I encourage is to constantly nourish( 1 Timothy 4:6 ) yourself in His Word and then I can guarantee He will give you the words in which to speak. As I spoke on the other night, trust in the Lord at all times with all thine heart and lean not on thine own understanding( Proverbs 3:5 ). This isn't poetic, it's the truth. When it comes to what they think of you consider this for being a Christian your not going to be well thought of. Trust me in fact for taking the stances you will take more than likely you will be considered unloving, not understanding and get this unchristian like. Do you know why they will say this ? Well, let me let the scriptures answer it, " If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.( John 15:18-19 ) " Did you catch something very key Jesus says in verse 19, ye are not of the world. Brothers and sisters those who are His, are not loved by this world because they are not of this world because they were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world( Ephesians 1:4 ). Be encouraged to share your faith and do it with boldness( 2 Timothy 1:7 ) and be not ashamed of the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ our Lord,King, and Savior.


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GOD BLESS YOU BROTHER, THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL SND ENCOURAGING IN MY STUDY THIS MORNING AS I SEEK TO BE A BETTER WITNESS FOR OUR LORD.