Saturday, July 4, 2009

Love ( 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 )

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This text should be very familiar in fact I know I've read it a couple times, well honestly a lot. Honestly here in scripture we see what love is. Amazing in four verses we can get so much on a four letter word, but as we know love is more than a word for God is love( 1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:16 ), the scriptures clearly indicate this. Of course people do pervert and/or misinterpret/misunderstand that and I'll get to that. I must say brothers and sisters, that this very text has continued to mold me as a man after His heart. It is truly amazing that no matter how many times I've read it how encouraging and beautiful it continues to ring in my soul and heart.

First off I'd love to share with you how it starts in verse four with that love suffers long. We've all heard the expression/ saying true love waits. You know I may or may not have shared this before on here, but when we think of that we think of saving ourselves till marriage and yes I see it that way, but I also see it another way too. What I'm saying is not only do you save yourself in purity,but you don't just jump in any relationship, but in stead wait on God's best for your life and nothing less. For me as I've shared before I'm going to be quite transparent. At 26, still single I've decided that I'm going to continue waiting on God's best. What I mean is I'm not going to compromise on picking a girl to spend the rest of my life with. If this means I have to wait another 5 to ten years it matters not for I have everything in Christ Jesus. Of course my waiting is far different than most or what the world would consider waiting, while I'm waiting I will continue to serve and worship God. Now should the Lord send someone this won't stop the serving and worshiping, it just means I will have someone serving and worshiping beside me, she might not be perfect,but she would be God's best and nothing less. My attitude to this area as in others didn't just change over night they changed through prayer and I do believe through an active prayer life God works on us. Remember prayer is not about us getting what we want,but about changing us and conforming our will to His will. As I've stated before He does answer prayer,but we need not go to prayer and think of it like what can you give me today God. Instead we need to be grateful making our requests known to Him, ask His will be done, and ask for His peace to have the understanding in every situation. Cause friends there are going to be times when you will pray for something and His will, will be nothing like you thought it would,but it will always be what you need. Keep what it says in Proverbs in mind, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. "( Proverbs 3:5). Notice it says lean not on your own understanding.

Another quality of love, true love is that it is kind. True and honest love is kind. Notice what follows is it says that it envieth not. Another words you connect these two qualities of love. It doesn't envy what others have and by this shows its depth of true kindness. Doth not the scriptures say to not covet a neighbor's items( Exodus 20:17 ). You know I'll admit before Christ changed my heart, I was guilty myself of envy. I know cause I always thought if I could only have that or that then maybe I could be this or that. Like I've stated before the truth was before Christ I was trying to filling a void in my life that could not be filled with anything of this world.Praise God for coming in and changing this man and continuing change in this man through continued growth in Christ daily.

Continuing on love is not arrogant and doesn't go around puffing its chest up. True love doesn't have to put a huge sign around its neck that is glowing. No, instead it is so apparent that it is radiant enough and drawing to those who know it. Ever gotten that smile from a friend or your mom, that you know was genuine. You know what I mean, they didn't have to put up any effort, it was I am so glad to see you and it was literally the expression of their care and affection for you. This is what I mean, it doesn't need a neon sign, true love truly shines without needing extra help.

The next verse has really touch my heart as it says it doesn't seek its own. This is describing love, true love as sacrificing. Remember what Christ said, " Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." ( John 15:13 ). You know I've learned this myself that being a real man after His heart is being willing to sacrifice. This means instead of wanting what you want, instead seek both of your best by seeking His will. To be a man means willingness to lay down your desires, your dreams, and seeking His will for His glory. You know I'll be honest it has broken me to a degree to see that right now God's will is for me to be single, but in breaking me He has continued to refine me and strengthen me. Through it I've continued to be encouraged daily by His Word. Whenever my mind is attacked with thoughts of loneliness it is Him that strengthens me by upholding me with His right hand and His Word fills my mind to cloud out those doubting thoughts and lies. Continuing on in verse 5 it says it is not easily provoked and thinks no evil. Not easily provoked, wow this to me shows that true love stands through all things. Not to mention it thinks no evil. Truly this encapsulates the purity of true love.

Verse six, wow, how anyone can be in any immoral relationship and consider it love is absurd. For true love rejoices not in iniquity. Obviously if some or a majority of the world got a grasp of the word iniquity or what it meant they would realize rejoicing in a homosexual relationship, an incestuous relationship, or any such that God hates is not rejoicing in truth. Now as I stated earlier you might be thinking isn't God love and if so He can't hate can He? Well, let the scriptures answer( Psalm 5:5, Psalm 11:5,Leviticus 20:23,Proverbs 6:16-19, and Hosea 9:15 ). Friends too many times people wish to misinterpret/misunderstand and even sometimes pervert that God is love. He is love, but don't think for one second He hates the sin, but not the sinner. Do you think there is a distinction between the sin and the sinner? Think about this God is love, but remember what He is also Holy and righteous. With those attributes in minds think how can a holy, perfect, righteous, and just God can love a sinful,wicked person? The answer to that is unless a man be born again he can not enter into the kingdom of heaven( John 3:3 ) and until then remember this, the wrath of God abides on those whom don't believe( John 3:36 ).

In closing verse 7, states that love bears all things, believes all things,hopes all things, and endures all things. Does this not say something very strong that it bears,it puts up, but not in such a vain way. I just love the words it uses here cause this to me describes a true and lasting relationship with Christ. A true follower of Christ will bear all things he or she faces in their walk good or bad. They believe all things good or bad work for their good to give God glory that is due. They hope all things will work out for the best to give His name glory and praise. Last they will endure to the end because He who began a good work will finish it( Philippians 1:6 ). This also brothers and sisters has continued to show me what relationships can be built on. True love in any relationship will keep it strong and keep it together and remember Jesus truly defines true love. You want a relationship to succeed put God at the center. Remember seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.( Matthew 6:33 ). This passage clearly defines the priority of our lives God first, and not God first with something close second, but God way above the rest.

Be encouraged brothers and sisters to read these passages of scripture. Read and learn the very depths of true love. Come to the biblical understanding of this word which is one of God's attributes. Remember also that while He is love, He is also a consuming fire( Hebrews 12:29 ), He is holy( Leviticus 19:2 ), and He is just. So let us not exclude those other attributes when sharing the gospel with others. It's not a scare tactic when you share with them the very holiness of God. Your sharing with them very reality of who they will have to face on judgment. This in essence is showing true love. When you present the gospel share it in truth just as the apostles did seeking to please God.

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: