Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Beloved Think It Not Strange The Trials You Endure ( 1 Peter 4:12-16 )

Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.


1 Peter 4:12-16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does pain, suffering, or having to endure trials come to mind when you think of Christianity ? If it doesn't it may be cause you have been tuned into a little dose of prosperity gospel, watered down or plainly not the gospel. Did Jesus say hey I've got a message about how life is going to be easy going and no more problems just follow me? No, granted He will be with you every step of the way( Hebrews 13:5 ). We are guaranteed that those who live godly in Christ Jesus shall be persecuted. Now you may say well, the Apostle Paul said that, well take the very words of our Lord and Savior, " And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. ( Matthew 10:22 ) " Yes that sounds to me like a life full of no problems and I'm everybody's friend! Now your saying alright John your previous sentence was satirical. Your right,but the point I'm drawing out is the Christian life is marked by suffering and not a walk in the park. It is not a game, its a battle and a race of endurance.

Now moving into the passages here in 1 Peter, written by the Apostle Peter. I love how Peter opens in verse 12 with beloved as you know this letter is written to brethren so you see why he opens it with beloved. Peter cares for the brethren just as any of us should. We shouldn't be numb to our brothers and sisters,but instead care very dearly. You know often when I can't see my brethren I think of them and do pray for them. They are on my heart and I long to see them. Friends do you understand now what Peter means when he writes beloved. He goes on to write to encourage them to think it not strange the trial they endure. He encourages them as one he knows they are to come to pass. Jesus had shared with His disciples the trials that would come and Peter here is encouraging the early believers to press on and rejoice in it.

He continues in verse 13 by saying that ye are partakers of Christ's suffering. Remember friends Christ was beaten and as it written, " Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also ( John 15:20 ). " To partake in His suffering is to endure suffering and persecution for His name sake. Remember the world will not love you for you are not of the world. Remember as He prayed in the garden of Gethsemane those whom the Father has given Him are not of this world as He isn't and so the world does not love them as it did not love Him. Continuing on with verse,but listen to this joy that Peter shares that when His glory, Christ's glory be revealed we as believers will be joyful. Do you long for the day in which you begin spending eternity with Him? I know I do! As much as I have compassion for those who are lost I can't wait to see the nail scarred hands which saved me. I can't wait to see the captain of my salvation and begin singing forever holy,holy, holy is the lamb. Now some may say you can do that here, but friends this is not my home here. I am,but a pilgrim on my way home. Trying to explain that to someone who is unconverted and lost the joy of going home is to some degree hard cause they just don't grasp the excitement we have. I'm not being holier than thou art, but friends be honest they don't understand things which are spiritual unless converted. Read the parable of the sower and you will see what I mean.

Now looking at verse 14 notice it says ye are happy if they reproach you for the name of Christ for on your part is he glorified and on their part he is evil spoken of. Friends this means when they speak they speak evil is spoken of on their behalf, but on your part He is glorified. Like I've stated before with a verse that is very encouraging to me from the book of Philippians," For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. ( Philippians 1:21 ) " In my life I seek to please Christ daily in everything I do from the moment I wake till I go to bed. Now to some and maybe even most this may sound radical, but friends is this not what our lives should be about. Should we not focus our entire being around giving ourselves to please and glorify God. This means conforming your very thoughts, actions, and speech. I'm not perfect, but by no means giving up on pressing on towards the mark for prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus( Philippians 3:14 ). What I'm saying is I haven't obtained perfection, but not settling for what I am today. I am pursuing God daily and growing in holiness. This means dying daily and asking God what can I do for Him, instead of what can He do for me.

Let us look at verses 15 and 16 together. Friends, brothers and sisters we do not suffer as criminals in this life. What I mean by that is while it may appear so to those who persecute us or attack us. We are simply hated and despised because of who we serve. You know it is amazing how accepting this country is of so many things, but a true bible believing Christian this country wants nothing to do with. You may say that is a harsh statement,but it is true. Friends if I was to walk into a walmart or any local retail store and share the gospel versus what a large portion of churches share they would be angered at me. They would call me unloving, uncaring, and judgmental. Why ? I've said it before men love darkness. So friends, brethren when you suffer and I promise you will the scriptures indicate and confirm this give God the glory. Is that not what verse 16 says let him, the Christian not be ashamed, but let him glorify God. Sounds tough, but I ask you this where do you remember Jesus saying hey follow me and life get's really easy. I made mention of this last night and I feel the need to say it again if you think the Christian life is easy, wrong.

If anything since God changed me and called me I haven't gotten a Rolls Royce nor found a million dollars. What I have found is an abundant life, full everyday. Full of joy, pain, and the ever unfolding will of God in my life. I've come to see that even in absolute rough times how ever present He is and how even in those times I've continued to find my source of joy in Him. He is the very strength which gets me day by day. As it is written I live by faith, not leaning on my own understanding, but trusting in the Lord at all times with all my heart( Habakkuk 2:4, Proverbs 3:5 ).


Be encouraged my brethren that while suffering will come, to give God the glory. I know that may be the toughest thing to do during those times,but friends be a living testimony and instead let them be put to shame and evil be spoken of on their behalf. Another thing to be considered also think of the influence you may have just as Stephen did as he was being stoned( Acts 7:54-60 ). Consider these verses from the Apostle Paul to the church in Rome.

" I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Romans 12:1-2 "

Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: