Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Will Set No Wicked Thing Before My Eyes!( Psalm 101:1-4 )

I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.

I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.

Psalms 101:1-4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening and God bless. I do love how this psalm begins on how he referring to David saying he will sing of mercy and judgment. Mercy and judgment, wow how beautiful does that sound. David imparts and shares with us that it is God who gives mercy and who will judge in this verse. He doesn't complain about this, but is rejoicing. I mean think about it my brethren he is singing unto to God about mercy and judgment that doesn't sound like a man who is unhappy,but one who is comforted in the sovereign God he serves who shows mercy and judgment on whom He will.

In verse 2 David speaks to God on how he will walk wisely in a perfect way. Now before I continue let me remind you that perfect doesn't mean without error, but instead with a whole heart. Here David is making a promise to God to live godly. This we no isn't easy. Read Romans 7, in it you find there is a war even within the believer. The war is that we battle the flesh, but to win the battle is to walk in the spirit so as not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. To do this we must be constantly renewed( Romans 12:2 ) by the Word and be absolutely nourished( 1 Timothy 4:6 ) in the Word.This doesn't mean pick up your bible on Sunday and on Wednesday or here and there. No, this means we must be in it constantly and as much as possible. Granted there is no passage that says you must read it this much or this many days, but friends I do ask how much do you love Him? Trust me I have found a great desire to read His Word as I continue to grow in Him.

Moving on to verse 3, David writes I will set no wicked thing before my eyes. Alright before I continue with the rest of this verse, this portion of this verse I'll be honest as been on my mind. The reason being is this that there are people who love God,but yet watch things that God abhors. This to me baffles, bewilders, and plain just makes my jaw drop. How is it you can sit on a Sunday sermon, Wednesday service or a youth event then put yourself through garbage God abhors ? Please someone answer me that ? Granted there are going to be wicked things we may see throughout our day without us meaning to, but when David writes I will set no wicked thing before my eyes. He is clearly stating I will not put that evil thing before me. Another words brothers and sisters as I stated its one thing to happen upon something you see as your walking along or driving ,but to willing put yourself through it is something else. Think on this verse in proverbs, " Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. ( Proverbs 4:23)" Keep this in mind there is no point in your life where you get old enough to handle it. I've heard someone say well, I'm an adult so its ok I can handle it. Friends, brothers and sisters you must look at things the way God does and that is in black and white. There is no grey area with God.

David continues on with saying that he hates the work of those who turn away. Another words those who said they were of us. Remember the Apostle John speaks of apostasy and this is what David is referring to. The fact is they were never in the faith to begin with. David declares to hate their works and that their very works will not take hold to him. Friends in this very age there is a continuing apostate and we need to have the same attitude. Do not let it cleave to you. As the Apostle Paul said fight the good fight of faith and hold fast on eternal life. Another words do not take part in it. Friends there are things that appear Christian,but that is as far as it goes. I believe the reason people are deceived is people are relying on emotions and lacking discernment. If they did as the Word says and test the spirit( 1 John 4:1 ) they would quickly see these false teachers for who they are. In addition when you rely on your emotions think where this comes from? Your heart and what did the prophet Jeremiah say about the heart, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? ( Jeremiah 17:9 ). "


In Closing with verse four David states a froward heart shall depart from me. As you know a froward heart is a perverse heart. Friends I can tell you this, no wicked person is honestly going to want to stick around you long unless God changes them. I can guarantee you this. One thing I noticed after I met Christ in 2007 I lost contact with people and it wasn't slowly either. It was quite fast indeed. The fact is people don't like truth and when you become consumed by God people are either drawn to you or away. Not because your special, but because of who dwells in you. I don't find it a coincidence of the people I've made friends since then. The second half of the verse David says he knows not a wicked person. Now at first glance you would say well, that can't make sense we all know some really bad folks. What he means by know is to have a personal relationship. Like I've stated before your quality time should be spent with believers. As I stated before this doesn't mean you don't evangelize, in fact I encourage you to evangelize. Just remember when it comes to quality time spend it with the brethren.

Brothers and sisters I encourage you throughout your walk. Remember we are called to a holy calling( 2 Timothy 1:9 ). This isn't suggested, it is in fact the way we should live( 1 Peter 1:16 ). It isn't easy, but Jesus never spoke about the easy life( Matthew 7:14 ). He did say that if anyone would wish to be His disciple they would deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Him( Mark 8:34 ).


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: