Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Truth It Will Set You Free ( John 8:31-36 )

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

( John 8:31-36 )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after a week away sadly due to a busy school week and other engagements I'm able to write again. Like I've stated before I enjoy this as I love doing whatever I can for God. No matter what it may be. Whether it seems small in some people's eyes I do this and all I can for the glory of God. I pray tonight brethren this both encourages you and brings edification. Tonight passages come from the gospel of John. This book is one of my personal favorites as it is with most and in this text as I was reading in this chapter a few months back God revealed something to me. When I say revealed I'm not talking new revelation as the book is finished when the apostle John penned the final chapter of the book of Revelation. No what I mean is God showed me just how in some sense I was as those Pharisees when they said we were never in bondage( John 8:33 ). Before coming to Christ I would more than likely have thought the same for I had never been in physical captivity,but as I will get into later and as God showed me the night in which He saved me I was a slave/captive who needed rescue. More than that I was dead and needed to be brought to life. Now I will dive into the text and as I stated earlier I pray this is both encouraging and edifying.

First off we have our Lord and Saviour speaking to those who have believed on what He has said. He speaks to them saying if you continue in my word you are my disciples indeed. Think about this what He is talking about right here. Right here it plain and simple He is talking about those who persevere all through life. It amazes me that people honestly believe your salvation can be lost. I'm sure if I share verses such as Philippians 1:6 or Psalm 23:6 they may say well that's Paul or well David was talking about something else. What is even crazier and I've never had anyone say it to me personally,but people have said this unless I read it in red(another words the words of Christ) than they won't believe it. Well, right here for those still struggling or for some reason seem to believe the doctrine of the perseverance of saints wasn't mentioned by our Lord, here is one instance. Jesus here is emphasizing that to truly be a disciple is not to just be a one time follower,but a continued follower of Him. Today what modern Christianity is defining as disciples is scary. Most who go to church, read their bibles, and pray would say I'm a disciple. Let me expand something those three areas. First do you go to church because of desires to worship God, desire to grow in grace, fellowship with brethren, and would be willing to go regardless the conditions( no a/c or other common modern conveniences). Two do you read your bible only on Sunday,Wednesday while at church or do you read it beyond those days. Outside that do you spend time in His Word studying, not just reading when you can? Third has your prayer life grown in grace? When I say this has it become defined as communion with God and Him conforming your will to His or does your prayer life seem pagan?

In the next verse Jesus states and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. From reading this verse a few times and seeing that Jesus states you shall know the truth and then states and the truth shall set you free He was getting a point across. One stating that one who a believer has a relationship with the Lord. Think about what it means to know the truth. To know the truth is to know the Lord. For as it is written ," Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)" Jesus continues in verse 7 and in that says that if you know Him you will know the Father. There we get an understanding of what Jesus states when He says that many will say on that day Lord, Lord, but He say depart from me I never knew you..ye workers of iniquity. There is a clear understanding that truly those who have truly put their faith in Christ, and in Christ alone know Him and by knowing Him, they know the truth. The second point is the truth shall set you free. We are all under bondage when we are born. For we are born into the bondage of sin. This we inherited from Adam. This occurred from the fall and every person receives this upon birth. So when we know the truth, we truly are set free. This doesn't by any means, mean that we never sin again, but now we are free from it. No longer are we bound to serve it as we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

Think of what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians," There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.(1 Corinthians 10:13)" Right here it shows how God daily will help us fight when temptation sticks its ugly head in. This is why we must daily suit in the armor of God( Ephesians 6:10-18) for without we are asking to open ourselves to sin. Nobody will live a perfect life, just read Philippians 3, but the Lord does wish for us to be mindful each day for we have an enemy lurking about seeking whom he may devour.

Now we get their response and they respond,but we are Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to anyone. Alright before I continue let me break down this into two parts. For one they state they are Abraham's seed. Here the pharisee try to base their righteousness on their lineage to Abraham. Further down Jesus address this( John 8:44 ). I'm taking that didn't get Him invited to too many houses,but it was true. Think of what the Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 9,"Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. (Romans 9:6-8) " This directly ties in for shows of what is being said here. A man must both be born of water and the Spirit to enter the kingdom of God(John 3:5-6 ). Here as the pharisees are responding in the passage they are boasting who they were and that they didn't need anyone or anything. What arrogance and terrible understanding. For if they read their copy of scriptures that they had they would see that God counted the faith of Abraham as righteousness. Course then again I'm sure somehow they would credit that to themselves and not realize even that is a gift of God(Ephesians 2:8 ). For unlike them Abraham grew in grace and total dependence upon God. This is evident as you read in the life of Abraham(Genesis 12-25).

Next you see they say they never were in bondage. Well, personally I found that amusing coming from them. For one anyone who has read enough of the scriptures remembers something called the Babylonian captivity. For them to make such an absurd statement just didn't make any sense,but considering how high they thought of themselves it's not surprising. It seems either they forgot history or choose to forget it. I believe the reason they might have chosen to forget it, is because it would bring them to conviction possibly. Think about why Israel and Judah went into captivity. It had to do with them committing all the abominations, transgressions, and sins against God. Read through the book of Isaiah or Jeremiah and you will see what I mean. In addition they currently were under Roman rule. So how they make such a statement is obvious they speak out of purely adulterous and pomp heart.


Here is Jesus response to them. Whoever commits sin is a servant to sin. Now I'm sure none of them would have admit, but they knew in their hearts they were practicing sin. This is what Jesus was referring to. Think about Matthew 7:23," And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. " Another words people who profess Christ,but continue practicing sin are kidding themselves. It is one thing to sin in err, but it is completely different to do so because it is joy. I know by no means am I perfect and have to repent daily, but I seek daily not to upset the Father. I seek daily to please Him in all I do. This life isn't about me pleasing myself or others,but is a life about Him, about bringing His name glory and praise. If this means I'm uncomfortable so be it. We as Christians would do good for our souls to take heart on Galatians 1:10. Do not seek to please others more for when you do that you will begin to compromise who you are to Him. Instead seek to please Him and watch how much better your relationship with them are.


Verse 35 is so beautiful and when I see this verse I think of the twenty-third psalm. Here we are given the blessing of blessed assurance. Of course so much more than that notice Jesus states a difference between a position of being a servant and son. Here He is obviously showing the adoption of those whom God saves. Think about what the Apostle John states early in his gospel, " But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.( John 1:12-13 )" What beauty it is to be called an heir in the kingdom of God. Not only that, but that ye shall abide there forever. David understood this concept as well when he wrote the twenty-third psalm,"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.( Psalm 23:6 )" Maybe not the son ship part,but most certainly that once you were His, He keeps you. David certainly understood blessed assurance.


Jesus then continues with if the Son shall set you free, than you shall be free indeed. Here He is obviously drawing the parallel to what the truth is. Sadly the pharisees don't see it. This is as you will see later in John's gospel that because only His sheep hear His voice. Instead this angered them just as a few lines down He angered them by revealing that their father was not Abraham,but the devil. Truly those who know the truth know Jesus. For as Jesus said He is the way,the truth, and the life( John 14:6 ). To know Him is to have eternal life. For there is only one name by which a man can be saved by and that is Jesus Christ. Truly you can see the simplicity of what Jesus was speaking,but the very blindness and harden hearts they had. To understand why some Jews believed and why these pharisees didn't, read the parable of the sower. Truly it was just as Isaiah had prophesied( Isaiah 6:9-10 ).


My friends and brethren may be encouraged from this that it the Lord who sets the captives free. Truly for me when the Lord showed me a few months back how before Christ I in some sense was like the pharisees. In my BC( before Christ) days I didn't think I was under bondage,but truth be told I was in bondage to sin. For as I look back at my life I see where I practiced many sins some people knew of and others only I knew of. Thankfully today I am set free not based on who I am or from my heritage, but by the grace of God. Today I am continuing to grow in grace , abiding in Christ. Friends be encouraged to share to the world that Jesus Christ still sets captives free today. They much like me may not realize they are captive so be loving and don't neglect in witnessing to use both the law and the gospel. For it the law which will show them their captivity and their need for Christ (Psalm 19:7 ). May I leave you with some encouragement from scripture in the book of Psalms.

"The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

( Psalm 19:9-14 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: