Monday, November 16, 2009

Blessed Are the Poor In Spirit ( Matthew 5:3 )

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems as just when I thought I'd be back to doing this more on a regular basis life didn't allow, but I will say it is a blessing to be writing again on here. Tonight passage comes from the sermon on the mount. A few months back I'd expounded another verse from this same section and I've had this particular section of the text on my heart and felt the need to get back to my devotionals. This section I believe is very well known and as I stated it has been on my heart. I'm not sure why,but I believe there may be a reason for it and I'm just being obedient and willing. I pray tonight my brethren you find both encouragement and edification in this. Not only that may in this you give glory and praise to God. For nothing I write is because I have talent on my own or because I'm great,but cause God uses us earthen vessels to share His gospel both for the lost to draw them to repentance and bring encouragement to the brethren.

As we know this section is the beatitudes which means blessed. In a previous devotional I expounded on verse 11. Hearing the words blessed and persecuted I'm sure may have been to correlate to connecting. Especially in today's society trying to put those words in the same sentence would most certainly throw them through a loop. Tonight I believe you will see something similar. Granted to the Christian we understand to be persecuted is blessed,but to unregenerate person it makes no sense and sounds ludicrous. The text tonight reads blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God.

Wow can you imagine the look on the face of the people that day. Think about the very condition He states the inheritors of the kingdom of heaven are. They are poor in spirit. To be poor is to be needy and lacking. Yet we are told they shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Do you see why the sermon on the mount right off was so radical? Here Jesus was sharing how the believer despite their condition their inheritance was great. So often we see those who are living high on the hog and we measure that as those who are rich, but the thing is we need to be reminded that an abundance of possessions does make up one's life ( Luke 12:15 ). Consider also some more scripture to explain what it means to be poor in spirit ( Psalm 40:17,Isaiah 41:17 ). The Lord knows the very condition of His people, but despite what we lack we find what we need in Him. For think about what Matthew 6:33. Of course so often I tell people this we must not skip to the end,but instead see the centralist and focus of that verse. The centrality and focus is to seek God first and foremost in your life, that He is what you build your entire life around. So that you are reminded yes I am poor in spirit, I am needy and dependent, but I know my God will take care of me for He will never leave me nor forsake me( Hebrews 13:5 ).


Remember the story of the rich young ruler. The man had it all yet when Jesus told him how he could inherit eternal life the rich young ruler walked away unhappy. Why you ask? James 2:5 gives us some insight into this, " Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? ( James 2:5 ) " Of course anyone who has read the story of the rich young ruler will see despite keeping all the other commandments he broke one. Remember as it is written, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.( James 2:10 )" Like many today he wanted eternal life,but he wanted it more like fire insurance and figured a good moral life was fine. The problem in that one eternal life needs not be treated like fire insurance and sadly there are many who go to church today who do and I pray that they would repent of it and trust in Christ alone to save them. Another problem was moral living. I believe today most people and even in evangelical circles don't realize that you can live a good moral life,but if you are not born again you won't enter the kingdom of heaven. There is only way to heaven and that is through Jesus Christ, Son of the living God( John 14:6 ). There is a diluted gospel going around that says pick Jesus. Well, let me say this in all love, you don't choose Him, He chooses (John 13:18,15:16) and changes whom He saves.

So you can see the contrast of believers as opposed to those whom are lost. While the lost may be living high on the hog with money and other material items they really have nothing. Consider this passage from the book of proverbs, "Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death. ( Proverbs 11:4 )" As the passage clearly indicates money and material items will not spare you on the day of wrath. It does state that righteousness will deliver on that day and by that we know those of us who have trusted in Christ alone will be spared from the wrath to come. Scripture makes it very clear that those who won't believe in Christ, the wrath of God abides on them( John 3:36 ). There is only one way to be saved from this wrath which is to come and that is to place your faith in Christ alone. For there is no other name which a man can be saved by.

Brethren I pray tonight this has brought both encouragement,edification to you and most certainly glory to God. Remember while we are poor in spirit, ours is the kingdom of heaven. Think while those whom are lost may gain many material items here and a lot of us struggle.We need to remember who is our treasure/reward, that is Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour. May we not forget this,but be reminded daily through prayer, communion with God, and time in His Word. Let us not focus on what we don't have,but instead focus on serving the Lord everyday to the fullest. May our prayer be Lord use me for Your glory and Your praise as it would seem good in Your eyes. Brethren know I do pray for you, it may not be individual names, but you are on my heart daily. I leave you now with these words of encouragement from our Lord and Saviour,


"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? "

( Matthew 6:25-26 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: