Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Devotionals ( Oct 29 & 31 2009 )

A Prayer For Growth In Grace( Colossians 1:9-11 ) ( October 29, 2009 )

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Colossians 1:9-11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good evening and God bless my brethren I pray you are well. Tonight passages come from the book of Colossians. I believe this to be one of Paul's epistles not as well read or one people are not as familiar with. Often people will quote from or are familiar with passages from Phlippians, Romans, Ephesians just to name a few,but nonetheless all scripture is for our benefit both for nourishment of our souls and the renewing of our minds. Tonight I pray this provides for you encouragement my brethren and now let us dive into the Holy Writ.

This letter as we know was written to the Christians at Colosse just as the Apostle Paul states in verse two( Colossians 1:2 ) near the beginning of this chapter. The Apostle Paul was once again in jail which when you read in the book of Acts this is of no surprise. The apostle was a God fearing man and did not care for his life,but instead sought to share the gospel no matter the cost. Words of his in his letter to Timothy I tell are very encouraging and may we take them to heart. " Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.(1 Timothy 6:12)" The apostle didn't just write these words he lived them, so sadly today I see many quote this,but the evidence is lacking. Well, I believe I've given enough background now to passages for tonight.


In verse nine the Apostle Paul says they heard it. Now the apostle is not meaning they literally heard it as he was in prison. Of course what he is saying is that both he and fellow brethren such as Timothy have heard of it. To me this stands as testimony of how genuine people lived for the faith then. Their very lives being changed by the gospel were spread abroad and this was the thing to share in letters, not whose dating who or who is playing in the world series,but look how the Lord is moving in my life. Look at how my faith has grown thanks to the grace of God. My friends when is the last time we shared in an email, text message or phone conversation so it was shed abroad how God is moving in our lives so someone can say I've heard how your faith is growing. Not just someone in the same town, but a brother or sister miles,states or possibly even on the other side of the world. Another words is God the center piece of conversations or just a decoration?

Continuing on the apostle then states that they do not cease to pray for them. My friends I know I've said this before,but I feel the need to say it again. Do you pray for your brothers and sisters. Are they on your mind ? My prayer is the devotional I posted the other night made us think some more. My friends I'll be honest with you I rarely pray for myself as in something I want. I know most would think yeah right,but it's true. Another point I've mentioned before is prayer is about conforming your will to the will of God. It is truly amazing how when you spend more and more time communing with the Father how you less and less you bring laundry list, but instead bring honest petitions before your heavenly Father who is heaven who knows your needs. How comforting this is as I don't worry about man I hope He answers this or how should I word this. Instead I speak with honesty and all reverence to the One whom gave me life, saved me, redeem me and sustains me. Friends as the apostle states here that they do not cease to pray he is stating his genuine love and adoration for his brethren in bringing before God the Father the petition of those whom he cares for honestly and reverently. See how when we look at prayer rightly it not makes it easier, but it is biblical.

Moving on we see exactly what the Apostle Paul is praying for them for. He prays for a number of things starting at the end of this verse and continuing till verse eleven. One he desires that they might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. Today this should still be something we pray for or brethren. This isn't outdated or something only the Christians then prayed for. No, instead I'd encourage you to do same and pray it. We need a filling of this knowledge of his will, but notice what the apostle write in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. I have seen so many times already in my walk where people obviously either are not seeking or do not want His wisdom in His will for their life yet claim I'm a Christian. Friends we need wisdom and spiritual understanding when making big choices and when using discernment. This gets me every time how I will see things posted about movies watched or stuff read and my first thought was where was your spiritual discernment ? The truth of matter is this we should not only pray for our brethren in this,but for ourselves as well. I pray that I would be filled with this knowledge as to make the best decisions based on His will. What I mean is seeking His face in prayer,seeking a solution that will please Him and bring His name glory in it.

This leads me to verse 10 which says that you "may walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." I must say this makes me think of something I asked a dear brother of mine the other Sunday and that was how many times do you go to best asking God how much more you could have done for Him. He said everyday. What he meant and what I was saying is we seek in everything and I believe the true believer seeks to do as the Apostle Paul was stating here was being fruitful in every good work. How many times do we waste time in things that aren't bad,but still we could be doing things for His glory and towards growing in knowledge of Him. Why is it we waste this time? The problem is and people will try to answer a number of ways,but I'll get to the heart of the problem is sin. We still battle the flesh and even wasting time is battling flesh. Anything that draws us away from God is a sin. Did you know that? Think about what you more than likely do while wasting time you are playing games. More than that you become consumed with self. Think about it you could be doing something productive and you know it, but instead you don't. So my friends I encourage you the next time you find yourself begin to waste time and have nothing to do why not instead be fruitful with your time and grow in the knowledge of God or seek to share the gospel with someone who knows not the Lord. I challenge not just you,but myself.

Lastly the apostle prays for strength, but not just any strength. He prays for strength with all might according to God's glorious power with all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness. So let us take us moment to take that in. He prays for strength. Just yesterday morning as I was driving to school a a few of my brethren came to mind and I felt compelled to text them of course not while driving. One of things I prayed for them was strength. Now in retrospective it is amazing and I know it was the Lord for one the time in which I was driving to school was at six am and alert to drive it is clear I could not have cleverly thought this up at that second. What really touches my heart was later after one of my classes after sending the text I did get a response from one of my brethren and she replied how it was just what she needed to hear.

Not only that,but he prays that for this strength according to God's glorious power. Friends truly I've seen this in my own life. From the testing of my faith when I nearly lost my grandmother last year in November to His continued provision for my family as my father did not have a job until just recently. truly I have seen His glorious power in my family and most certainly in the work of my life from when he changed this man and continues to work on me daily. Praise be to God!

Not only this,but the apostle notes according to His glorious power with all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness. Here the apostle prays that they would as they pursue growth in the knowledge of God that they would do so with patience and endurance. That they would not give up,but do joyfully. You know I was told by mom when I was kid that I used to give up quite easy at things. I find this quite ironic now. The reason I say this is cause it shows a testimony of how God changes a man and works through a man. Cause if it were up to me I would just give up, but it is Him working in me and through me that I will make it. Does not the scriptures say that work out your salvation with fear and trembling( Philippians 2:12-13 ). This in no way promotes a works based salvation, but talks of the work of God working in us progressing the work of sanctification. My friends I find great confidence in God that He began this work and will finish( Philippians 1:6 ). Not only this I am thankful for the fear I have and that I tremble at His word. I do not take lightly His words,but instead enjoy them as honey on my lips. Where are the people like this anymore who feast on His Word as it were the very thing they needed for each day?

My friends/brethren I pray this encourages you tonight. I pray you grow in the knowledge of God through the reading of His Word. Take time to spend time with Him in communion. I pray also that not only do you read His Word,but find time to study His Word. Remember the Word states that we should study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that need not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth( 2 Timothy 2:15 ). May I leave you with these words and I pray they encourage you.


"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal "

( 2 Corinthians 4:8-18 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repentance : True & False ( Luke 18:9-14 ) ( October 31, 2009 )

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
( Luke 18:9-14 )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening and God bless my brethren on this night. While a vast majority I imagine are spending this evening collecting candy dressing up I wish to say Happy Reformation Day. For today almost 500 years ago God raised up a man by the name of Martin Luther. This German monk desired truth above all else and saw the corruption for what it was and cared not the cost of standing up to the institution, that being the Catholic Church. How it saddens me when I mention his name today or this day most people even within the evangelical realm first gravitate towards to Halloween a holiday that has its roots in pagan rituals and origin then to the day in which the Protestant Reformation begins. Tonight I pray my devotion brings both encouragement and conviction as I pray all my devotions do. Not because of fancy words or because I'm wise, but that I pray God would use me for His glory and for His praise. I made mention of today being Reformation Day because it is, but also in Martin Luther's 95 Theses his first these relates to the passages I wish to speak on tonight and that covers the doctrine of repentance. This I believe to be a fundamental doctrine and one believers need to understand. They need to understand a couple things about repentance: one the difference between true and false repentance, two that repentance is throughout the life of a believer and not a one time deal. Another words it's not as some say in the south, " I've done did that." No from the first moment you repented you continue repenting throughout your life. For you continue to turn away from sin and detest sin more and more. As the Apostle Paul wrote I die daily. Do you think with a statement like that that for him repentance was once? With this in mind let us dive into the text.


Starting off in verse nine it is clear who Jesus is addressing. You know too often I believe today people in the modern evangelical world are afraid to call people out. Now friends we must do things in love, but again there is a time and place for rebuke and correction as well. Take also for instance when John the Baptist spoke out against the Pharisees. The language was strong and he didn't beat around the bust,but got to the point. We must if we truly wish to reach people must be willing to be honest with them. Notice also that Luke reveals to us that those whom Jesus was addressing were full of themselves. Luke states they were righteous,this righteousness was not a pure righteousness,but most surely self righteousness. In addition he notes they despised others. These people obviously looked out for only themselves and cared not for others yet considered themselves righteous. So sad isn't, they thought themselves to be good more than likely based on the good works they did, but meanwhile were looking down on others because these others did run to par with them.


Next in verse ten it states the two men who enter in the temple a Pharisee and a publican. That is to say a tax collector and a religious leader. Which do you suppose the people hearing the parable would trust? The religious leader right? The same would probably so if placed in modern light. Jesus continues Then we have the Pharisee praying to God. Here take note on how not to pray. Here you see one a lack piety, a lack of concern for others, and obviously exalting self. Take a look at what he says I thank thee I am not as other men. Now right there it doesn't sound too bad as I believe we could say we thank God for not being out doing things as others do,but listen how he continues. He goes on to list specifics such as adulterers, extortioners, and then to top it off he states the publican. Alright let us examine this so far as I said yes we should thank God we are not out being step in this sin and committing those same acts, but where is this man's piety to pray for them. Where is he begging for them to turn from their sins and come to God in faith. No you don't see it and worse of all he is talking how much better he is and even comparing himself to someone else in his presence. It is obvious this pharisee is looking to himself and his good works and not to God.

Let us continue and Luke records on with that in verse twelve that the pharisee basically starts bragging. Talk about piety being thrown out the window. He talks about how he has fasted for twice in one week and about his tithing. This is sick it is like he is listing off his check list of good deeds to God like it will impress Him. Friends this is something clearly I believe Jesus was driving across to this crowd and I've shared with others God loves us the same not based on performance. Think about what is recorded in the gospel of Matthew, where it says well done thy good and faithful servant( Matthew 25:23 ). Think on that long and hard. Let the Lord be your joy and not your performance. For when He is your joy you will do much more for Him.

Then in verse thirteen we get it, the beautiful picture of genuine repentance. The publican not even looking up to even strikes his breast and says have mercy on me God for I am a sinner. Do you see that? Let draw to light some important points from that and something we can learn from this passage of scripture. One the fact the publican doesn't look up. This shows he is not haughty nor proud of his state,but in despair. Think my friends whenever your down or at wits is not your head hung low. This I imagine how the publican must have been. Not to mention that,but it shows the reverence in which someone who shows repentance is brought to. One who recognizes the holy and righteous God before whom they ask of His mercy will show the utmost reverence for it is due. Another thing to consider is he says have mercy on me for I am sinner. He asks God for mercy for he knows he needs. The publican recognizes as I states he has offended a holy,just, and righteous God whom he needs mercy from. For surely if not mercy the opposite if justice. Is not in this picture of this parable Christ pointing to Himself the place where we as Christians find mercy. For outside of Christ there is no mercy from the wrath of God.

The last point I'd like to address is that the publican acknowledges he is a sinner. My friends today to ask someone if they are a sinner is ridiculous yet for some reason people actually use this to evangelize. Let me tell you this lost people know they are sinners and a great majority really don't care. Take one look at the world and you will see how they drink down iniquity as if it is water. We must instead of treating them like used car salesmen which is what you sound like when you ask them," Are you a sinner?" Instead you must show them the need for Christ by presenting the law and then give them the gospel. The law can't save them,but it will point them to Christ. Remember what the Apostle Paul said,"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.(Romans 7:7-9)" As you see in these verses that clearly the law shows us our very sinful nature and our very need for Christ. This you can see in close of Romans chapter 7 and other places in Paul's epistles.

Jesus then concludes this parable with a few points. First off He states the publican went home justified. That term is a legal term. He was declared righteous before God not based on his works,but on genuine repentance before God. He knew his standing and how he had wronged the holy,righteous, and just God he stood before so he came expecting justice,but asked for mercy. He received mercy for his genuine repentance of not being haughty or proud,but humbling himself before God and recognizing his sinfulness. This mercy came not of works,but of the goodness of God. For God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy( Romans 9:15 ). Jesus also states that everyone who exalts themselves shall be abased and those who humble themselves shall be exalted. I believe Jesus is very clear for those who seek to raise themselves up shall be brought low and them who humble themselves the Lord shall give them notice. This is honor among their brethren. The humble when exalted will never seek to glorify himself,but instead gives this blessing as praise back to God. Think of Psalm 138:6, "Though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. (Psalm 138:6)" He desires those whom love Him entirely and those who seek to exalt themselves already show a lack of love for as it is written if you love me you will obey me( John 14:15 ). By this they are breaking His commandments and show a lack of love for him and a greater love for themselves.


My brethren do you see a difference in true and false repentance. Where the publican recognizes who he was before the Lord God almighty a sinner who had offended Him and needed His mercy. On the other hand we have the pharisee who merely went to him with lip service,but had no genuine showing of repentance. Truly you can see that this pharisee in this parable was living out what the prophet Isaiah spoke of." Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: (Isaiah 29:13)" I promise you this type of repentance does nothing, but lead to death. If you do it to please a guilty conscience your wasting your time. I instead encourage you don't play games with God. Go in genuine repentance to the Lord God. If you confess to Him both with your lips and heart He is faithful to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness( 1 John 1:9). My friends repentance is not a one time deal, repentance began the day we first believed and continues throughout a believers life. I pray tonight this has brought both encouragement and enlightened you to some measure in the doctrine of repentance. There are more passage in scripture and one which comes to mind is Psalm 51. Here to me shows a man of God genuinely repenting. Take the time to read it and take heart to David's words. In fact I will leave you will those words to think on. May they be both encouraging and convicting. See how David did not cover his sin, but confessed it and showed true repentance before the Lord.


"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.

For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.

Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar."

(Psalm 51:1-19 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: