Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pressing Forward! ( Philippians 3:12-14 )

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:12-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It occurred to me when I thought about my recent devotionals I mentioned I had not reached perfection. What a concept a person recognizing their short comings,but on the second hand as I'll go into further I do not let it hold me back in my pursuit of conforming myself daily to the image of Christ. The thing is this I truly believe, the genuine believer recognizes their lacking,but neither condones nor says oh well guess this is all I can be. No instead they seek daily to be more and more like Christ. This means daily looking less and less like who they were before Christ. Now what I find amazing is this,there are people that actually in some sense will claim they have reached that "spiritual" high point in their life where they got it going on. I've never really met anyone who actually practices this,but heard of people who claim this and sadly a few who call themselves Christians. That I truly believe is disgusting because I believe the true believer can attest to just as the Apostle Paul did here that perfection does not come this side of heaven. This lack of perfection also does not equivalent to saying a person can lose their salvation. Before I continue may I add eternal life truly holds no value in all honesty if its not eternal. Think if we, can lose it when in fact we never had any part in earning it nor deserve it than what value are we putting on eternal life? Now to the text and I pray this encourages you my brethren.

As it is very clear from this text in verses 12 and 13 the Apostle Paul is very clearly indicating he has hasn't reached the ultimate spiritual high and can say I've made it. No even Paul is declaring he hasn't obtained perfection. What this should today to us Christians instead of putting men on pedal-stools is instead see what he was like us and he wasn't perfect. Now I by no means am saying he wasn't a very special man of God, used in a special way,but I'm just saying we need to watch how we view even the apostles. We need not get a "Catholic view". Think about what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians in the 11 chapter of his first letter, " Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. ( 1 Corinthians 11:1 ) " While yes he did great evangelistic work for God and the building of the early church, see also in this passage he ultimately was pointing people to Christ. May we not seek so hard after perfection to try to win people, but in stead rely on God. Another passage to consider, " And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.( 1 Corinthians 2:1-5 ) " Do you see that the Apostle Paul did not come with fancy speech or enticing words,but instead relied completely on God to establish their faith. He didn't use psychology,no he recognizes his short comings and placed his absolute trust in the power of the Lord.

Another thing we have to see in our lack of perfection is that despite what we lack the Lord will finish the work in which He began( Philippians 1:6 ). So granted this may take a week in some areas of our lives or could be the rest of our lives as in the case of our sanctification. The obvious is most certain the Lord will complete for when the Lord begins a work He finishes it and He is faithful. Let us not forget that. Might I also state as the Hebrews writer clearly notes that He is both the author and and finisher of our faith( Hebrews 12:2 ). This to me, should be of great comfort to us.

Moving on to verse 14, in it the apostle declares despite knowing he hasn't reached perfection he still presses on. Brethren this should be our attitude. No matter how short you feel some days, just dust yourself off and run this race with patience. May you declare boldly as the apostle did that you press towards the mark of the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. May you see the imperfections in your life as motivations to move forward. May your prayers be that you see less of you when you get up each morning and that His Son instead shines forth. Friends may we take on an attitude of starving the flesh and instead feeding our soul. Die to self and live for Him.

In case you didn't know I'm not perfect by any means. I do not say well I'll never will be and give up. No I affix my eyes to heaven and say Lord just give me the strength to run. Remember my brethren it is not by our strength in which we make it day by day,but by Him( Philippians 4:13 ). I heard a man by the name of Ray Vander Laan say this and I agree may we get to the end of life race and say to God that is all I had to give. Don't just give some, a little or a portion, but give it your all.

Brethren I encourage you tonight. Realize that yes we are not perfect and perfection does not come this side of heaven. Now also realize this as well, do not let this give way to allow you to sin just because of your lack of perfection. Instead may it encourage you to press on daily to conform yourself daily to the image of His Son. Don't say I'm just me, instead say I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me( Philippians 4:13 ). Be encouraged to know if truly it was Him who began the good work I guarantee not because I'm saying it,but because the Word declares it, He will finish it( Philippians 1:6 ). May I leave you with this word of encouragement from the Apostle Paul,


" I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. "
( Romans 12:1-2 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: