Monday, September 28, 2009

Being Singe Isn't Bad.....Really ( 1 Corinthians 7:7-9 )

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

1 Corinthians 7:7-9


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Tonight's passage may or may not be familiar. I would suppose it should be, but not one that is commonly preached or say hey this is the memory verse or verses for the week, but mind this my brethren it does shed to us encouragement as does always His Word. As we who have read this chapter we know the Apostle goes in with great depth to explain the context of marriage. This is not the only area that discusses marriage,but one place I think of when I think of the topic. Now I'm going to dive into the text and I pray this encourages you my brethren. May we not take lightly the Word of God,but instead be good stewards of His Word and be nourished by it daily.

Starting in verse 7 the Apostle Paul states he wishes all men or all people were as he were. Another words for those who are single, this includes me don't see it as a bad thing. I think way too often we use our status to determine how happy we are or what direction our life is going in. Let me tell you all that despite the fact I do deal with the issue of being single sometimes I am actually quite the happy guy. Let me expound on why. The reason being is this I've found the longer I have walked with the Lord that He has me exactly where He wants me. So if I'm single He has a point and with that He is keeping me focused and fine tuning me. See if I was in a relationship I would be busy focusing on another person and my attention would be divided. Now I'm not saying that married Christian couples are divided in their attention to God, I'm just saying young men and women need to spend more time getting to know God before considering courting. In addition what is more important getting to know that other person on a relationship basis or becoming the man or woman God desires for you.Everything has its appropriate order and too often in our culture things seem to lose order and priority.

We can also gather from verse 7 that the Apostle Paul was an unmarried man. With that in mind think about the life you read about through the scriptures. Do you read a life of misery and disappointment by never getting married? I beg to differ. I see a man with a passion and a desire for God alone. No matter the cost he fought the good fight of faith all the way to the end. Friends that is counting the cost, realizing in that, that may mean a life of being single.

You know to some measure I still struggle with being single and I believe a lot single Christians do.For me the best part is I don't pace back and forth saying Lord what is going on. I just say Lord in Your time, Your way, I will continue serving You while I wait, and if it be Your will I continue so in the context of marriage if not then I will serve you just as I am now as a man seeking to please you in all I do. In fact as I told someone once God is writing my love story. Once again even in this arena a Christian can find comfort from the Lord. Truly Proverbs 3:5 I take to heart.

Now in verse 9, the Apostle does conclude that if they can't contain themselves that they should marry. Another words if they burn with passion they should get married. For better to marry than to let this passion turn to lust and as we know lust is a sin and well, we know what the wages of sin are( Romans 6:23 ).

As I've shared before I'm quite transparent and I wish to be tonight as well. The Lord has given me such peace in this area, even though to some measure I struggle mainly cause I will be honest I have a desire to be a father and a husband. I can't begin to tell you how much I'd love to have a family, one I could share my love for God and His Word. Even in the context of marriage one can see how it conforms a person to the image of Christ. In it I would continue to learn about unconditional love(agape) and long suffering. Two such qualities the Lord has and continues to shows me. Lord willing if I get married may I be the husband/father who instead of being like the tv dad, I will measure myself daily to the "Standard", Jesus Christ my Lord, my King, and my Saviour.

Brethren I pray this encourages you that if you are single know that it is not punishment, but instead a time of opportunity. Instead of looking at with such thoughts of why me, instead say Lord teach me,guide me, and conform me daily to be more and more like Your Son. Let us see being single as a time of personal growth and not wasted time. I now leave you with these encouraging words from the Apostle Paul.

" Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: "
( Philippians 1:6 )


Good night and God bless,
John W. Whybrew III <><

No comments: